Shapeoko3 #1331 - Europe, The Netherlands

AnonymousPerson

Re: Shapeoko3 #1331 - Europe, The Netherlands

Post by AnonymousPerson » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:20 am

Not sure. It has a higher rating according to it's published specs, but I haven't measured it and don't know anyone who has.

But that can be fixed. Bought one of these power plug energy monitor things a few days ago. Didn't think to use it on the Kress, but will fix that tomorrow. :D

Good thinking btw. ;)
Shapeoko 3 #516

UltiArjan

Post by UltiArjan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:46 am

Got feedback from support 1st business day :) Where I before did not get any response I had used the "the team" mail address, don't do that ...

Here's the full answer fyi, they shipped a new electronics board already, post the results when I get it... looking at the previous speed of USPS into the Netherlands it will be at least two weeks so I'll just have to be patient :) obviously very pleased with this service!
Hi Arjan,
Let's see if we can get your electronics in a better place. I made a note to the Shapeoko team on your other concerns listed below and will follow up with Jess to get you that V wheel.

I'll pack up a 2.3 version of the board this afternoon which has fixed the disconnect issue 95% of the time (one customer told me something broke and we're not sure if it's the board so I can't claim 100% success rate).

Twisting motor wires: you can twist them all together, but if you're open to poking the crimp connectors out, you can twist the green/black and red/blue pair together.
3D printer mount for your makita: leave it for now, but if the router only has a 2 prong connector then grounding the body/frame will help. This can be done later if the disconnects continue.

The new board has an exposed ground pad around the screw hole in the bottom/right corner (if you're reading the silkscreen right side up). Use a metal washer for that screw and that will ground the whole machine to the frame, which will mitigate ESD spikes.

Jorge
-------------------------------------------------
Shapeoko3 #1331, Makita RT0700
Ultimaker2, Ultimaker2+E3Dv6 (abs only)

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:04 pm

So, running the Kress at its slowest speed (~5000rpm) while cutting some MDF (0.5mm per pass), is only drawing ~34 watts.

Cranked it up to the maximum speed briefly, and it was drawing closer to 180W.

So, not really sure what to make of those figures. They're vastly different than the published specs. :?
Shapeoko 3 #516

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:59 pm

AnonymousPerson wrote:So, running the Kress at its slowest speed (~5000rpm) while cutting some MDF (0.5mm per pass), is only drawing ~34 watts.

Cranked it up to the maximum speed briefly, and it was drawing closer to 180W.

So, not really sure what to make of those figures. They're vastly different than the published specs.
No-load power consumption is going to be much lower than the maximum rated power. That's perfectly normal -- it means that 180 W are lost to heat and noise and pushing air around to cool the spindle, and the rest* up to the rated power is available if you actually cut anything.

Cutting MDF is not a serious load as we normally do it on our machines. The Kress would use a lot more power if you cut MDF with a 25 mm diameter cutter at 10 mm depth and 10 mm stepover, and went fast -- but that'd probably break a belt in your machine, or worse.

Try a feeds-and-speeds calculator: the better ones give you not only the cutting force, but also the the power required from the spindle for a given set of cut parameters.

* not quite all the rest, because some losses grow with the load too.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:45 am

cvoinescu wrote:Try a feeds-and-speeds calculator: the better ones give you not only the cutting force, but also the the power required from the spindle for a given set of cut parameters.
Any recommendations? I tried GWizard for a while, but was unimpressed (Adobe Air based, extremely bad UI, buggy).
Shapeoko 3 #516

UltiArjan

Shapeoko3 #1331 - Europe, The Netherlands

Post by UltiArjan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:31 pm

* Limit switch KIT.

While waiting for my new mainboard, I installed the official limit switch kit (which came through customs for free :) )
The install is super easy, found a few small mistakes in the manual, and made some changes.

Errors;
In the manual the mounting picture of the Z-plate shows the m3 ring between the bolt and the plate, you need to put the ring between the switch and the nut.

The kit includes 4 x 1/4# buttonhead screw, this is also the amount shown in the parts list, but you actually need 6 of these, as you also need to screw into the existing z-plate standoffs. This imperial stuff is impossible to get in the Netherlands so I just left one of the spacers out, I'm sure the little switch will be ok with 3 mounting points.

The kit did include 2 x M5 x 50 screws to much ...
Z-plate2.jpg
Z-plate2.jpg (49.33 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
Some changes I made;

For the X and Y plates I changed the M3x12 bolts, with M3 x 16, plus lock nut.
In both cases there's plenty space for the longer bolt.
X-switch.jpg
X-switch.jpg (33.96 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
Replaced all M5 nuts by lock nuts

To install the Z-plate, the 2 M5 x 50 screws go behind the spring, so you need remove it on one side (missing in the manual). To be easier able to tighten the screws later, I replaced the button heads with M5 HEX bolts (which I generally like better).
HEXbolts.jpg
HEXbolts.jpg (52.47 KiB) Viewed 1640 times

UltiArjan

Post by UltiArjan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:19 pm

As already mentioned in the "disconnect topic" the new 2.3 board seems to have solved my issue.
Did not do any long jobs... but feeling confident.
http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=160

Also uploaded the design of the electronics covers here;
https://www.youmagine.com/designs/shape ... nics-cover
Cover.jpg
Cover.jpg (67.6 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
Cover1.jpg
Cover1.jpg (78.62 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
Cover2.jpg
Cover2.jpg (97.88 KiB) Viewed 1561 times

UltiArjan

Post by UltiArjan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:39 pm

Just finished my new dust suction brush... will give it a first run over the weekend... the only brushes I could find in the hardware store where in a anti draft letterbox plate.. I was intending to glue them in, but the fit was so tight I had to hammer them in (the base is metal) so no need. I'll probably replace the long connection rod with aluminium, as it's not too stiff.
borstel1.jpg
borstel1.jpg (61.07 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
borstel2.jpg
borstel2.jpg (70.75 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
Brievenbusborstel.jpg
Brievenbusborstel.jpg (10.45 KiB) Viewed 1448 times

UltiArjan

Post by UltiArjan » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:55 pm

Replaced the printed bar with aluminium, much stiffer. Also added a quick release for height adjustment, it's a quick release meant for a bike saddle. I'm very satisfied with the result, specially when using it on a large flat piece of wood its taking away 99% of all dust.
DustSuckerAlu.jpg
DustSuckerAlu.jpg (83.48 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
SO3DustSucker.jpg
SO3DustSucker.jpg (31.45 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
QuickReleaseHeightAdjust.jpg
QuickReleaseHeightAdjust.jpg (37.95 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
If you want to print you're own, or even improve it, you'll find all design files here;
https://www.youmagine.com/designs/shape ... ck-release

https://youtu.be/qqE4M-P-Seg

JuKu

Post by JuKu » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:33 am

Nice work! the bike saddle clamp was a good idea. Maybe it works for workpiece holding, too. I have a couple, I'll try that.