Something almost but not quite entirely unlike a ShapeOko 3

CalebPeters

Making a Flat Table

Post by CalebPeters » Mon May 16, 2016 8:09 pm

One of the more important, but less interesting parts of this CNC build is creating a flat and level surface to assemble the machine on. Since the machine is significantly heavier than my Shapeoko 2, the table structure needs to be strong enough to be part of the CNC frame.

To accomplish this I built the table frame out of 1" x 3" x 1/8" aluminum rectangle tube. The tabletop is 3/4" MDF, and I think the final dimensions are approximately 4' x 3'. I originally planned on using 4 x 4's for the legs, but was unable to get anything satisfactory from my local lumberyard. I settled on using some rather thin angle steel for the legs, but there's a good chance that I may have to change them out for something sturdier in the future, check out the video and you'll see what I mean. However, maybe I can figure out something to sturdy the legs up, but until then the jury's out on whether or not they'll be permanent.

As far as flatness goes, I think I did fairly well. I purchased a fairly nice level with a milled surface. Using the level I don't see any high or low spots on the table surface, so I think I did okay.

Shapeoko 2 #3164 : GRBL, NEMA 23 motors, 350W Spindle, Limit/home switches, Drag chain, X-Carve Upgrade.
DIY-Oko 3 #-1 : LinuxCNC, PC-450 with Super-Pid, Hall Effect Limit/home switches.

CalebPeters

Y-axis & Gantry Assembly

Post by CalebPeters » Mon May 23, 2016 11:12 pm

Well, the machine is finally taking shape! This week I was able to get the y-axis rails and the x-axis gantry mounted and squared up to the table.

The main difficulties were dealing with a few slots that didn't line up perfectly with the threaded holes at the ends of two of the rails, and squaring the end plates to the rails. The former truly wasn't difficult just a necessity, and the latter wasn't too hard to accomplish with a bit of shimming.

I'm quite happy with the progress I've been able to make, and I'm thinking I'll have the machine running under its own power by the end of June. Hopefully that's not too ambitious.

Shapeoko 2 #3164 : GRBL, NEMA 23 motors, 350W Spindle, Limit/home switches, Drag chain, X-Carve Upgrade.
DIY-Oko 3 #-1 : LinuxCNC, PC-450 with Super-Pid, Hall Effect Limit/home switches.

CalebPeters

Z-Axis!

Post by CalebPeters » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:26 pm

With the z-axis now complete I think I can safely say that this DIY-Oko will be running before the end of June. It’s crazy to think that I started working on this project back in October, but hard work and patience is finally starting to appear to pay off.

Sadly, I’m a little bit pressed for time, so a detailed assembly isn’t in the cards. However, I did manage to put together a short video talking about the z-axis and how it went together. The video skips the tedious assembly part, but if you’re interested I also have a video on my channel detailing the assembly of my Shapeoko 2 z-axis which is similar in a lot of ways.

CalebPeters

It's Alive!

Post by CalebPeters » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:34 pm

It moves! There’s still a few things that need to be done before the machine can go through some trials and do its first job, but it moves! It’s been a challenging project at times, but it’s also been truly rewarding.

This project has been taking quite a lot of time for almost every step, so I’m a bit surprised how fast I was able to get all of the hardware and electronics mounted to the machine. Not to mention all the wiring done.

I’m extremely proud of what I’ve been able to accomplish, but I couldn’t have done any of this without the Shapeoko community.

grep

Re: Something almost but not quite entirely unlike a ShapeOk

Post by grep » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:54 am

Awesome congrats :) ;)