V Carve Software for XXL SO3 or something else?

JohnR

V Carve Software for XXL SO3 or something else?

Post by JohnR » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:22 pm

Using CC and CM with router. My background includes Alpha Cam, Master Cam, and Router Cim.
I would like something a bit more advanced.
I was looking at V Carve Pro. It looks really good especially for the price.

1. Does it have a post processor for SO3 or do I need to use something else?
2. Would you recommend another software that I'm unaware of?

Thanks in advance.

apopj

Re: V Carve Software for XXL SO3 or something else?

Post by apopj » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:49 pm

I have VCarve Pro, VCarve Desktop, and Aspire (in addition to Carbide Create). All of the Vectric software has post processors for Shapeoko machines. I am not sure if this will actually work, but wanted you to know it is listed...… Jeff

apopj

Post by apopj » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:59 am

Hello again,

Wow, I never thought there would be such a lack of information on either Shapeoko or Vectric forums. I am with you in wanting to use Vcarve with Shapeoko. I have contacted Shapeoko, who said "It's third party software, contact Vectric". I have contacted Vectric who said "Contact Shapeoko, they should know what works with their machines". ANd the forums say things like, "yes it will work, just change line 102 to read xxxxxxxxx and line 500 to read xxxxxxxx and enter it into file xxxxxxxx but don't forget to xxxxxxxxx !!!!! All I asked was, like you, can I develop a project in Vcarve calculate the tool path properly, check the post processor to Shapeoko, and send it directly to the machine. I really didn't think that was too difficult of question, but it seems no one has a simple yes or no answer. Having used Vcarve with Next Wave machines, it was a simple process to create a 3D sign with a fish (for example) standing proud of the surface, Prism lettering, a fancy border around it all, and save it to a flash drive and plug it in to cut. That was it, select "Shark" in the post processor of Vcarve and off you go. Apparently, you must be a programming wizard to get it to work with Shapeoko and that I am not. So, guess I'll cancel my Shapeoko order and get another Next Wave machine. They at least can tell me what works and what doesn't with a simple yes or no...….. Hope you have better luck getting info from this forum than I am having....

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:50 pm

Vectric has included a "post-processor" for the Shapeoko (a pair of them actually, one for Imperial measure, one for metric) since v8.5 --- please let us know if you have any difficulties accessing them. Their "install" procedure is to move the one you want to move into a specific directory and then that one will be used and the others ignored:
"C:\ProgramData\Vectric\VCarve Desktop\V9.0\PostP\Shapeoko_inch.pp"
​"C:\ProgramData\Vectric\VCarve Desktop\V9.0\PostP\Shapeoko_mm.pp"
​​copy whichever of those you would prefer to use into
​​C:\ProgramData\Vectric\VCarve Desktop\V9.0\My_PostP
and then it'll be the only one you see.
The community has some notes on this as well: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php ... e#2.5D_CAM as well as links to community-maintained post-processors which have some nifty features.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

apopj

Post by apopj » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:53 pm

Hello again,

Well, I now have first hand experience using Vecter Vcarve software with the Shapeoko 3 XXL. And, in summary, it works perfectly.

The way I did it was.....

I developed the design in Vcarve Pro. Nothing was done differently, I just laid out my design as I would normally. Once completed, including toolpaths, I saved it using the SHAPEOKO gcode in the Vcarve postprocessor. Since I am using my Apple computer in my home, I copied the saved gcode to a memory stick (flashdrive). I then took that memory stick out to the workshop and plugged it into my PC (I know, a convoluted way to do it, but its all I had). I drag and dropped the saved gcode from the memory stick to the desktop on my PC. This made it easier to find on the computer. I opened Carbide Motion 4 and loaded the program to it. NOTE: you must load each tool change separately since the Shapeoko doesn't do auto tool changes. This sounds worse than it is. The only thing that is different is that you MUST reset zero for the Z axis since the new bit will most likely not be at the same height as the last tool. Start the router, hit carve and off you go. It really is simple and works great.

Hope this helps. If there are questions, shoot me a PM and we'll go over it in detail....

Jeff :D

rrohowetz

Re: Vectric Toolpath post process for Carbide Motion?

Post by rrohowetz » Sun May 19, 2019 9:36 pm

Hello,
I have just downloaded and started using a trial version of vectric software. Since it is a trial version I cannot save a toolpath and check the results on my Shapeoko 3 XL. I noticed that the listing for the Shapeoko put the *.gcode as the suffix on the toolpath. Is that how they are saved? If so, does Carbide Motion import with that suffix other than the *.nc suffix? Thanks in advance!

rrohowetz

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu May 23, 2019 6:00 pm

Yes, Carbide Motion imports a couple of different typical G-Code file extensions.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)