Carbide Create vCarve Toolpath Questions

rambo2_981

Carbide Create vCarve Toolpath Questions

Post by rambo2_981 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:43 pm

I'm new to Carbide Create and I've a design for an XL that primarily has scripted text using a script font. When I build a V Carve toolpath, and run simulation the smaller size font height (the total workspace size is 20" x 12.4") of 1" barely shows up in simulation, but the larger font size of 4" looks ok. I selected #301 vee end mill and used all the defaults. However, it doesn't appear as though I have control over the vee end mill depth. So here are my questions:

1. Why does the smaller font size barely show up in simulation?
2. Can I adjust the ends of the scripted characters so the depth of the vee fades at the ends?
3. When I closed the design, and re-opened it the one tool path that I created that did both font sizes (4" and 1") text with a vee shows "Calculating …" on the Toolpaths list, but never finishes calculating and I don't see a simulation). Why would this happen?

I'm using Build 413, built on 2019-07-03.

I hope these questions are clear. Thank you.

Jeff

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Carbide Create vCarve Toolpath Questions

Post by WillAdams » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:40 am

1 - Carbide Create performs an optimization pass which discards small features which shouldn't be noticeable --- sometimes it does so wrongly --- the blue lines in the Toolpath view are accurate

2 - This should naturally happen if you narrow the ends to match ---- V carving on a CNC is mechanistic --- it cuts as deeply as it needs to for a given width --- a shape with rounded ends will have that rounded end modeled with an ending which has depth angles which match the V angle of the endmill used, while a pointed shape will have the ends modeled with a gradual climbing out which matches the angle of the point

3 - this is a bug we're working to fix --- please try the new 431 build --- if you wish you could try 432 in unstable: https://carbide3d.com/carbidecreate/unstable/
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

rambo2_981

Re: Carbide Create vCarve Toolpath Questions

Post by rambo2_981 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:44 am

Thanks, Will. I'll try the newer version and let you know.