Grbl Controller 3.0 released

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Grbl Controller 3.0 released

Post by WillAdams » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:02 pm

Another feature request.

GRBL is limited in the number of characters per line --- could we add a filtering option which would trim off as many decimal places as is necessary to make lines fit w/in the limit? (Or does Grbl Controller already have this feature?)

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

zapmaker

Post by zapmaker » Fri May 03, 2013 3:34 am

I checked and the limit currently is 50 characters. The spec allows for 256 characters. I've never heard of anyone running into problems with this - is there a scenario where the line length exceeds 50 characters? I'm guessing it would be with large slides (>=1 meter). If I understand you correctly, if the line is too long and you have X1000.123 you would want it to trim to X1000.12 and do this evenly across all axes, then repeating the process with the next digit, etc. stopping as soon as it fits, right?
Shapeoko #668
Dual-Y axis, belts outside, DW660 | Author of Grbl Controller 3.0 | http://zapmaker.org

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri May 03, 2013 10:54 am

It's been a recurring problem at the other end --- way too many places after the decimal, but it mostly happens w/ curves:

Code: Select all

G03 X159.805622 Y128.931422 Z-1.500000 I-150.337852 J52.716492
w/ at least two different CAM tools (gcodetools and MakerCAM)

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1161
http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1536

So, it'd just be a matter of (removing spaces?) and rounding off decimals to something reasonable. For reasons of elegance, I'd like to keep as many decimals as possible, and if feasible, properly round the last one kept.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets

zapmaker

Post by zapmaker » Fri May 03, 2013 1:55 pm

I see. I think your request is reasonable and I'll add it.

Also, if anyone wishes to, they can report bugs on the github site. I respond to those also, see https://github.com/zapmaker/GrblHoming/issues

Depends on whether you would like others to see a discussion here - in this case, good call, thanks.

Things have gotten busy for me now that we've thawed out and I haven't had time to spend as much time as I'd liked on Grbl Controller. Hope to get back into the code soon.
Shapeoko #668
Dual-Y axis, belts outside, DW660 | Author of Grbl Controller 3.0 | http://zapmaker.org

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri May 03, 2013 2:59 pm

Great! I added a issue so we won't forget.

zapmaker

Post by zapmaker » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:24 am

I've finally added the decimal precision reducer logic and a few other fixes into release 3.4. I've posted a Windows build up on my AWS site and looks like the Linux and Raspberry Pi versions compile and run properly.

Next on the agenda is to merge in the fixes to permit proper Linux compilation under Qt5, which appears to be the current default Qt installer.

Also, I'll have a table at the Seattle Mini Maker Faire Saturday and Sunday June 8th and 9th with all the gear (plan on having two Shapeoko's running). I'll post some pictures after the event.

V3.4
Enhancements
- Z-axis slider now allows rapid control of Z-axis positioning. This feature is still
being evaluated for proper behavior due to some user-interface issues.
If you run into trouble, please report a bug.
- All axis control buttons have been permanently enabled regardless of whether or not an
axis command is in progress - this allows more rapid updating. Note - there is no error
checking for the case of entering too many commands for the Grbl buffer. This is unlikely
but possible.
- Now supports setting of baud rates from 9600 to 115200
- Aggressive preload enabled is now the default. If the user upgraded from an older
Grbl Controller and had it disabled, a popup will warn them that it is being enabled.
They still have the option to disable, if desired
- Logging is turned on by default (only for new installs)
- All detected errors are collected and displayed after a file is run in the status view
- If filtering unsupported commands, all commands filtered out are listed after the file
is run.
- Logging now gives the line number of each command sent from the file and the corresponding
ok or error also contains the line number.
- An option has been provided to reduce the precision of lines that exceed Grbl's line buffer,
which by default is 50 characters. The code removes the arguments with the greatest precision
first and ending with at least one decimal place of precision. Errors are generated if it
cannot remove sufficient precision for the available buffer space. The buffer size on Grbl
is configurable in the options, as older Grbls have 50 characters and newer have 70.

Bug Fixes
- If Grbl stops responding (waiting for an ok), Soft Reset Grbl now functions correctly
(so you can soft reset without having to restart Grbl Controller). This affects aggressive
preload mode only.
- Commands to start/stop coolant coupled with dwell commands and aggressive preload cause
Grbl's modal logic to stop sending OK responses (on purpose). This was solved by waiting
for the OK of the coolant off before sending additional commands. It is not clear whether
this fixes all possible such modal problems, so use carefully and report any anomalies.
Shapeoko #668

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:10 pm

Thanks!

Will test as soon as I'm done drawing tools.

In the meanwhile, I think I up-dated the wiki everywhere.

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:40 pm

I don't know if you've seen it, but MakerCam has a really valuable function on "Edit" -> "Edit Preferences".

On Machining Tolerances you can restrict it to 4 decimals (for inches I guess? I use 3 decimals mostly), so the lines are much shorter.

However, I think you have to experiement with it a bit, and I think you have to do it before making toolpaths/importing SVGs or anything.. Not sure tho :P

It works for me ! :)
Attachments
Capture.PNG
MakerCam settings
Capture.PNG (36.26 KiB) Viewed 3462 times
ShapeOko #1758 with a few tweaks here and there.
I work as a CNC Operator (No mills, just lathes in different varities like Y axis and 5 axis), so have access to very good lathes.

plasma2002

Post by plasma2002 » Fri May 30, 2014 9:21 pm

(by the way, Grbl Controller is up to 3.6.1 now!)

So I realize that this post is almost a year old now, but I figured this may be the best place to put in a humble feature request, since the github page doesnt really have an area for that. I put a comment on Zap's blog, but I feel this may be better.

Anyways, I would LOVE to see keyboard shortcuts on the jog buttons :) (e.g. pressing the letter Q on the keyboard moves the z axis up)

I realize that I may be in the minority here, but I have a meter-ShapeOko, so Im quite frequently walking away from my laptop to mess with the work pieces on the table, so jogging the router is a bit of a pain.

If there were keys assigned to the jogging buttons in the GrblController interface, then I could just use a keyboard (wireless?) as a jogging pendant and take it with me.

This may be out of the scope of this project, but what would be amazing is to have a pendant that does things like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvzUIj8eU64

But it all starts with those handy keyboard shortcuts in the controller program :D