CamBam on Raspberry PI?

tioJim

CamBam on Raspberry PI?

Post by tioJim » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:44 pm

Hi folks

Do you think you could get CamBam to run on a Raspberry PI?

The Raspberry PI is Linux based and a Linux version of CamBam is in beta http://www.cambam.info/ref/ref.linux

In terms of performance the manufactueres say the following, "Overall real world performance is something like a 300MHz Pentium 2, only with much, much swankier graphics."

Open GL is supported and the CPU can be overclocked to 1Ghz so I'd imagine that's a conservative estimate.

Jim

Karl

Re: CamBam on Raspberry PI?

Post by Karl » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:02 am

Hi Jim,

this answer is a little bit OT but bear with me.

Thanks for pointing out the Mono version of CamBam, I got it to somewhat work on Mac OS X. It has a lot of glitches, especially when clicking and manipulating the 2D/3D view. But it is a step in the right direction.

As the Linux and Mac version of Mono builds on the same codebase, I assume you will get similar results on RasPI.
http://www.akafugu.jp
ShapeOko #313

AngusF

Post by AngusF » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:50 am

I expect the Pi would be very frustrating to use with CamBam. I run it on a meaty Core i7 machine, and I find performance overall pretty good. Describing the Pi as a P2-300 equivalent is pretty reasonable. It would work, but it would be slow.

tioJim

Post by tioJim » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:06 am

AngusF wrote:I expect the Pi would be very frustrating to use with CamBam. I run it on a meaty Core i7 machine, and I find performance overall pretty good. Describing the Pi as a P2-300 equivalent is pretty reasonable. It would work, but it would be slow.
Yes, since starting this thread I've been using CamBam on a Win XP virtual machine (MacBook/OSX/Parallels) and realise the 'CamBam is thinking' stage can be quite long so even if you could get it to run well the actual processing times might be quite painful. Win XP/Parallels was unusable on my ageing MacBook but I've moved the installation to a large external drive and it's now fine.

That said the Raspberry PI could still be an interesting platform for other kinds of CNC control.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:45 am

Not to hijack this thread but: if we're looking for a simple cross platform cam solution, I've been working on reviving an abandoned browser based cam package.

It's flash based and has worked for me in Chrome on all 3 major platforms.

You can see the work in progress at www.makercam.com

I started a tutorial and help section but have to admit its pretty weak at this point.

If anyone wants to give it a whirl on the PI please let me know how it goes! I don't have a PI, but should probably get one for these sorts of things.

Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

zerblatt007

Post by zerblatt007 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:49 pm

edwardrford wrote: It's flash based and has worked for me in Chrome on all 3 major platforms.

You can see the work in progress at http://www.makercam.com

I started a tutorial and help section but have to admit its pretty weak at this point.
I think this is a nice start. :)
JavaScript would perhaps be better than flash, but this seems to work.
If little things like saving projects and remembering my last entered inputs would make me want to use this.
Put in a simulator and I would not have to buy Cut2D.. :)
Shapeoko #958: Dual-Y drive, Double-X, Belt on outside, 1m Y-Axis, Acme Z, Opened up and boxed in. Kress 1050 Spindle.

Ing Chao

Post by Ing Chao » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:34 pm

OT: Just did the coaster tutorial on the makercam site. Used some scrap mdf so it's not really a coaster :lol: It came out VERY nicely!

Anyway, Big thanks to Mr. Ford for an easy way to get my feet wet in cam. I've been dreading the cam stage for a very LONG time. But makercam makes it incredibly easy! I just finished my Shapeoko and ran the coaster file within minutes of running "Hello World".

Can't wait to see what kind of potential makercam has!

Again, MANY thanks to you, Mr. Ford for the shapeoko AND now for makercam!!!! I've been trying to get cnc together for the last year and it was only after I got a shapeoko and joined this forum was I able to get any results I was satisfied with.
'Oko #1153- D Extended Y axis-1000mm. Dual X axis makerslide-900mm Nema 23 X and Y axis motors. Arduino Uno and Grbl shield controller running on 24v.