Conveting .crv files to .nc files

Lookin4help

Conveting .crv files to .nc files

Post by Lookin4help » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:26 am

I have a very old version of VCarve Pro (version 6.0) which I inherited. I can create files but they all get saved in a .crv format. In another post someone asked about converting .crv files to .nc (gcode) files. The reply to that post was that the person who created those files needed to covert them. When I go to save the tool paths a box opens called "post processor" and here is a drop down box filled with different file formats and 45 of those all end in .nc.

How do I know which of those .nc formats will run in Carbide motion? I have attached but 7 of about 10 screen shots of the various file types.

Thanks

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Conveting .crv files to .nc files

Post by WillAdams » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:33 pm

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Lookin4help

Post by Lookin4help » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:45 pm

I went to the web address you sent, however, I find nothing that mentions free software that will make the conversion. More than likely I don't know what it is that I am looking for and it is staring me right in the face. Can you please give me a little more detail?

Thanks

gwilki

Post by gwilki » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:10 pm

I may be misunderstanding you, but I don't believe that you want to "convert" anything. VCarvePro's proprietary file type for it's CAM projects is .crv. You don't want to convert that. You want to generate a gcode file from it that you can send to your CNC. Is that right?

Does your version of VCarvePro have a postprocessor named shapeoko? My version does, but it is newer than yours. If yours does, I would think you should save your toolpath using that post, then open it in carbide motion to send it to your machine.

Lookin4help

Post by Lookin4help » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:44 am

Your presumption about my files. All I want to do is generate g-code from them. My version of the software has a number of .nc file formats, but because my version is so old it does not include anything for Shapeoko. In my original posting I uploaded a number of screen shots showing all the .nc formats that were available in my software. At any rate I am still looking for a way to convert those files. It sound like that may not be possible?

gwilki

Post by gwilki » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:28 am

I apologize if I misunderstood. I don't see any screenshots in your original post. I would be surprised if your version of Vcarve does not have at least one post that will work, but I'm sure that someone here will know more than I do.

Lookin4help

Post by Lookin4help » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:54 am

The fact that you attempted to help means a lot. Thanks for the attempt.

Lookin4help

Post by Lookin4help » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:40 am

Regarding this issue, I went to web site guven to me. I could find nothing so I contacted them by e-mail. Here is their response, "Hello,

Thanks for your inquiry.

I am afraid that we do not: our software can export toolpaths in a CRV file to G-code, but we do not have any free tools or software that will allow you to do this, or just convert a crv file into g-code.

Regards,

Adam Moran"

gwilki

Post by gwilki » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:00 pm

When you say that you contacted "them", who are they - Vectric?

What did you ask them? If you asked about a free tool to "convert" .crv files to gcode, I'm not surprised that they do not.

I suggest that you ask if they have a post processor for your version of VCarvePro for your model of CNC. I would bet that they do.