Free CAM package (that works!)

sandro

Re: Free CAM package (that works!)

Post by sandro » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:46 pm

northbear wrote:Checked on my Linux computer and had the same results as Windows.

Works with Chrome

Firefox only shows maybe a 1/4 of the usable area, and the rest is blank white page.
Same results in Windows 7 & IE9 for me. Near as I can tell in IE9 the problem is that the <embed> tag for the .SWF is using height 100% which isn't correctly determining the window size in IE.

Firefox (5.0!) is not rendering the Makercam widget at all. Updating the Firefox 12, seems to put me in the same position as everyone else, 25% of the screen used. Actually, according to Firefox it's exactly 228px. Manually adjusting the height of the <div id="content"> "fixes" the problem. I'm guessing that both IE and Firefox are having issues with height=auto or height=100%.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:10 pm

The min-height was not being respected. I tried a bunch of different things, then just decided to just implement [urlhttp://stackoverflow.com/a/5277933]this javascript [/url] and that seemed to do the trick when I verified in FIrefox (16.02)

But I am still unable to get IE 9 to render anything larger than the 228px size.. I'm still working on that. I'm up for any/all suggestions!

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

northbear

Post by northbear » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:21 pm

edwardrford wrote:The min-height was not being respected. I tried a bunch of different things, then just decided to just implement [urlhttp://stackoverflow.com/a/5277933]this javascript [/url] and that seemed to do the trick when I verified in FIrefox (16.02)

But I am still unable to get IE 9 to render anything larger than the 228px size.. I'm still working on that. I'm up for any/all suggestions!

-Edward
I can verify that it works with Windows 7 in Firefox 19.0. Had to hit refresh to update, then it worked.
My buildlog is here

alexncus

Post by alexncus » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:27 pm

Nice program.

if your CNC is setup for metric (I am using Marlin with 400 steps/rev and 16 microsteps)
then you need to make sure you set MakerCam to metric (CM) as well ???

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Sun May 12, 2013 7:22 pm

Just to close the loop on that last question:

Your CNC machine should be able to switch between metric/imperial.

Most (good) gcode files have either G20 or G21 as one of the first lines, telling the machine to use imperial (G20) or Metric mm (G21).

Depending on which one is selected in makercam (inches or CM), the gcode file produced will reflect the selection.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

yzyrider

Post by yzyrider » Thu May 23, 2013 5:21 pm

partkam_settings.jpg
partkam_settings.jpg (125.83 KiB) Viewed 2328 times
Hi! I am trying to figure out what these settings do in partkam, especially these parameters: safety height, step over, step down, roughing clearance and plunge rate.help will be highly appreciated, thank you! 8-)

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu May 23, 2013 5:57 pm

yzyrider wrote:partkam, especially these parameters: safety height, step over, step down, roughing clearance and plunge rate.
AIUI:

- safety height --- this is how high the Z-axis lifts up to ensure that the bit doesn't damage your part

- step over --- http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Glossary#S
The offset from one toolpath to the next adjacent toolpath.
Rule of thumb: The stepover should be between 1/3 and 1/10 of the tool diameter.
Great tutorial from CNC Cookbook - How To Choose a Stepover

- step down --- how deeply the pocket will be cut w/ each pass.

- roughing clearance --- how much material will be left when roughing out the part and instead, will only be removed w/ the finishing pass

- plunge rate --- how quickly the end mill will be driven into the material --- the feed rate used for the negative Z-axis move

Please let me know if that makes sense or no --- if they seem sensible (and correct!) we'll need to add them to the wiki.

I did provide some sample values in the tutorial: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... e/MakerCAM so you can correlate them w/ the prefatory text and see what was meant.

HTH!

William
Last edited by WillAdams on Sat May 25, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited to correct step down definition after cvoinescu's correction of incompleat definition
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu May 23, 2013 9:14 pm

Yzyrider, Will was not very clear on one point [Edit: he has since edited his post]. The step down is not the total depth of the pocket, it's how deep to mill in one step. Several steps may be required to achieve the target depth. Basically, the endmill will be removing a <step over> by <step down> section of material as it moves. If the pocket is round, one strategy results in a spiral, or spiral-like pattern of arcs, first plunging <step down> in the center then spiralling out <step over> each turn. Then the machine returns to the center, plunges to twice <step down>, and does the spiral again, and so on until <target depth> (actually, <target depth> less <roughing clearance>; the finishing pass removes the rest). Other shapes are milled in a similar fashion.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu May 23, 2013 9:26 pm

Thanks for the correction!

I'll edit my post and get it right for the wiki. (DONE and DONE, I hope)
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)