Free CAM package (that works!)

edwardrford

Re: Free CAM package (that works!)

Post by edwardrford » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:23 pm

That issue sound odd. I use chrome on mac all day long, and haven't had an issue. I wonder if it's the flash version you have installed for Chrome? I might be wrong about this, but I think that each browser has it's own flash installed, so potentially you could have two versions, one for both browsers.

Can you confirm they are the same version? You can use this page to check: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/ ... layer.html

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

madmanmoe

Post by madmanmoe » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:48 pm

According to that site I have:

11.5.31.139 installed for Chrome and

11.5.502.149 installed for Safari

Which are both the most up to date versions listed for my OS (Mac OS 10.7.5 (64-bit) .

The thing is, I don't think that MakerCam running in Chrome is necessarily producing bad files. I checked several of the test files I made using GCode Viewer
and they all looked fine, the tool paths are showing up as they should. However something about the files created in Chrome causes my version of LinuxCNC (10.04 and up to date) to reject them.

If I wanted to track down the problem, the next thing to do would be to try to open a file that someone else created from Chrome and has verified. Maybe the problem is with LInuxCNC.

But for now I'm happy.
MadManMoe's Blog
eShapeoko #23 Dual Y, Dual X, Dremel 4000, Pololu a4988 steppers run from LinuxCNC

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:12 pm

Could it simply be different types of line endings? It woulh help if you could save the same simple job from both browsers, zip the two files up, and post them where we could look at them.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

madmike88

Post by madmike88 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:01 pm

It's been a long time since I've data manipulation for Macs, and this may not still be true... But I think CVoinescu might be right. If I'm remembering correctly Macs ended text lines with a linefeed and PCs with a carriage return. You might want to check that...

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:09 pm

PCs use line feed and carriage return pairs
Macs before OS X (and even now, some apps) use carriage return
Unix, and Macs since OS X use line feed

(my aplologies for the obvious, touchy subject for me)
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

ProtonStorm

Post by ProtonStorm » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:18 pm

I'm running a Windows 7 machine, I'm wondering if there's a way to make the work area larger? I've tried both Firefox and IE and both only fill about 1/3 of the screen with the work area, the rest is a black line followed by a blank page. I'm wondering if it's something on my end or if that's just the way it's set up. I'm running the latest versions of Firefox and Flash. I feel like I'm not seeing the whole interface when I open menus and such. Is this normal or something specific to my machine?

DevinTX

Post by DevinTX » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:51 pm

I saw the same issue. I will try it on other machines at the office running different OS and see if there is a change

Devin
ShapeOko # 207 / Dual Y Drive / Acme Upgrade / Belt on outside / Working on expansion

madmanmoe

Post by madmanmoe » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:38 am

I made a 150px square in illustrator (approx. 53mm), and then in makercam I set up a simple toolpath to engrave 1mm (in 2x0.5mm passes)

I did the exact same operation in both Chrome and Safari and put the resultant .ngc files here Both of them show up as identical in Gcodeviewer.
Just tested them with LinuxCNC and the Safari one opens fine, but the Chrome one produces an error.

See what you make of it.
MadManMoe's Blog
eShapeoko #23 Dual Y, Dual X, Dremel 4000, Pololu a4988 steppers run from LinuxCNC

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:05 am

They're identical except one says "square" and one says "sqaure" in a comment. Maybe Zip detects they're text files and encodes them as such, because they have CR LF line endings when expanded on my (Windows XP) box.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

madmanmoe

Post by madmanmoe » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:14 pm

Yeah that's just a typo on my part, when entering the name for the tool path.

TBH you've lost me talking about line endings but the Gcode looks identical.
I've checked both of the files (pre zipped) and can't find any differences.
MadManMoe's Blog