Burned Out and can't get started with CAD

hammy

Re: Burned Out and can't get started with CAD

Post by hammy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:40 pm

Hi
2nd post and totally new to using a mill.
Have just finished building eShapeOko and have had good success in drawing "hello world" and a couple of other texts from Linuxcnc.
I have tried following Edwards name plate video and ran into a couple of problems.
I have used Ubuntu 10.4 with Firefox and also Win7 with Firefox but both produce the same result.
1/ The first stage with Inkscape is OK and I generat a .svg file. The text I used was 'Abbie' in a rectangle 190mm x 100mm
The .svg loads into Makercam as expected. The pocket operation generates a good looking blue hashed image with pocketing as expected.
The calculate all operation shows no toolpaths internal to the character 'b' instead they are external and overcut other characters.
I tied all characters a - z both upper and lower case and also number 0 - 9 and found problems only with 'b' 'd' and 'o', all lower case.
2/ I changed the text to 'ABBIE' and all appears OK until I export the gcode when the pocket and profile information is not in the exported file

Attached images of problem 1 and the exported .nc file of problem 2.

I expect this is a problem with my understanding so any help will be much appreciated

thanks

ken
Attachments
part.nc
(164 Bytes) Downloaded 60 times
bluehash.png
bluehash.png (35.18 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
toolpath.png
toolpath.png (117.72 KiB) Viewed 1308 times

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:52 pm

I think the problem is you need to join all the paths together as one object, then make only one pocketing operation.

Please post your .svg file as well so we can look at it.

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

hammy

Post by hammy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:06 pm

Hi William

Thanks for the response. Attached is the .svg file

Ken

hammy

Post by hammy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:03 pm

Hi William

Some more info
With win7 & Firefox I updated Inkscape to version 4.84 and loaded in gcodetools. I then created the 'Abbie' name plate with the text Abbie ungrouped.
This .svg file seems to generate the correct toolpaths in Makercam as seen by the image. However I still cannot export any gcode .

I have have installed Inkscape ver 4.8.4 in Ubuntu 10.4 but so far not managed to get gcodetools to install (it was necessary to build Inkscape from source a somewhat lengthy process).

Its now 10.00pm, tomorrow I will try once more to install gcode tools in Ubuntu and probably re-install Inkscape 4.7 + gcodetools since these are available from the Ubuntu repsoitory and try the ungrouping

Ken

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:53 pm

I see the G-code, but not an SVG --- I'll see if I can recreate it next chance I get.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets

hammy

Post by hammy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:25 pm

Hi William

I carried out some more tests today. I have 3 systems as follows
Win 7, Firefox 21, Inkscape 4,8 + gcodetools
Ubuntu 10.4, Firefox 20, Inscape 4.7 + gcodetools
Ubuntu 12.10, Firefox 21, Inkscape 4.8 + gcodetools

Firstly the lack of gcode export from Makercam is my stupid, I had an invalid value in the target depth of the pocket operation

So I opened Inkscape, set the document properties to mm and created a rectangle 190 x 100 with x & y radius of 10
Added text either 'Abbie' or 'Name' and converted the object to a path.
Sized and aligned the text to the rectangle.
For the text 'Abbie' on one pass I ungrouped and on the next pass left it grouped
Saved the .svg file
Opened Makercam, set to cm and the import resolution to 90
Opened the .svg, performed a pocket operation and calculate all
Selected the outline rectangle and performed a profile operation and calculate all
Added tabs and exported the gcode

I did this 9 time once for each of the three systems with text 'Abbie' grouped, 'Abbie' ungrouped and 'Name' grouped.

Results are
_________________________Win 7_______ Ubuntu 10.4________Ubuntu 12.12

'Abbie' grouped__________OK__________Fail pocket op______Fail pocket op
'Abbie' ungrouped________OK__________OK________________OK
'Name'_________________OK__________OK________________OK

From remembered results while attempting to find some solutions it seems that 'Name' is not dependent on the system or grouping
That Inkscape needs the gcodetools installed
That only the letters 'b' 'd' and 'o' are affected.

Conclusion
It seems there is some conflict between systems (Ubuntu) Firefox, Inkscape and possibly Makercam but I have no idea what or how to chase it down.

If you feel this is worth pursuing I will assist where I can but it dose seem rather obscure and probably affect only a very small number of people.
I'm off now to try and mill some cork using the gcode file I've generated

Ken

pmodiano

Post by pmodiano » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:20 pm

This was a helpful video tutorial, Edward. I went through it and used your example to generate g-code using Makercam in hopes of breaking in my newly-finished Shapeoko variant. I secured the 3/4"-thick piece of wood to the wasteboard, manually moved the Z axis so that the top of the tool was barely touching the top of the wood to be milled (presumably making that Z=0) and told it to run the g-code. Instead of plunging the tool into the wood, it instead pulled the tool up and began to draw over the part. After stopping and testing, I noticed that if I was at Z=0 and I told it Z5, the tool would go up, presumably the opposite direction it should go, so I told grbl to invert the Z axis and tried again. This time it plunged the Dremel into the wood, at times going uncomfortably deep, straining the Dremel to the point where it was about to jam. When I used Makercam to create that g-code, I used the same conservative settings you used in your video but it was not behaving in a conservative manner. It was as if all the Z actions were magnified somehow.

A copy of the g-code can be found at http://www.logicaldevelopers.com/grenadaplace.zip

I would like to confirm the assumption that Z goes positive the tool is supposed to go down?

I apologize for all the newbie questions. I am very excited to get this thing to work!

Paul.
Shapeoko #1075 1000mm y axis, 500mm X axis, Dual Y motors, ACME screw Z axis upgrade, DW660. http://machinesonthemind.blogspot.com/

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:33 pm

Z positive should be above the X-Y plane, negative below.

It's possible that your settings for steps per revolution, micro-stepping or thread pitch are off. Check your settings: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... g_Settings

Hmm, there's no link to click on if things are wrong....

See the Specifications section of the About page: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/About for details about the threaded rod and # of steps and http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... millimeter for the formula to recalculate, which is:

Steps * Microsteps / Pitch = Steps per mm