RC DXF FIles

kerrycorcoran

RC DXF FIles

Post by kerrycorcoran » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:09 am

Anyone able to offer some insight for importing DXF files into Sketchup? I can import the files without issue, however the scale is much too large. The DXF files were originally PDF files that I converted before importing.

For some reason when I attempt to scale [down\ the file once imported in Sketchup, unfortunately Sketchup crashes on me. I have installed Sketchup on a few other systems to test and get the same result.

Hoping there is a method to properly scaling the DXF files or perhaps in a different application.

Open to suggestions and appreciate any insight.

Thanks,
Kerry

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: RC DXF FIles

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:28 am

Scale the DXF before importing?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

kerrycorcoran

Post by kerrycorcoran » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:07 pm

WillAdams wrote:Scale the DXF before importing?
Will,

The plans are initially PDF files and I convert them to DXF online. Not sure how to scale them before importing as I use Sketchup.

I have been googling, but not finding anything to lead me down the path.

Any insight?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:15 pm

Import the DXF files into a tool such as InkScape, then scale them, then re-save / export them.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

kerrycorcoran

Post by kerrycorcoran » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:16 pm

WillAdams wrote:Import the DXF files into a tool such as InkScape, then scale them, then re-save / export them.
Will,

I think the issue was the process I would use to convert the PDF files to DXF format. I would use an online (free) service to convert; the returned DXF files were huge when imported into Sketchup.

Following your lead, I opened the original PDF in Inkscape, saved, and 'saved as' to DXF format. Opened the new DXF in Sketchup and scaling is correct.

Now need to learn more about Sketchup and manipulating the DXF. ;)

Journey of a thousand miles.

Appreciate the help!
Thanks,
Kerry

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:15 pm

If you have not already check out the Big Blue Saw plugin for inkscape:
#1016 - 1M x 1M Y: Dual Motor Drive w/Looped Belts, X:Dual Rail with wlanfox blocks, Z: Stock, Spindle:DW660