diyCAM

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

diyCAM

Post by WillAdams » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:00 pm

This was just announced:

http://www.diy-cam.com/

On sale and there's a trial version.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Chemeleon

Re: diyCAM

Post by Chemeleon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:34 am

Cool, nice to see word is spreading (diyCAM is my project). If anyone has any questions, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread :)

Currently, I'm playing around with a fun little new feature: a jigsaw puzzle image processor. It'll take your current image, generate jigsaw pieces to cover it, the move those pieces so there's room to cut each one out, and save it as a new image ready to be carved and cutout.

I still need to setup a ui and add some proper puzzle piece edge shapes, but here's an image showing it using a simple test edge shape and the diyCAM icon heightmap. I'm thinking I'll be ready to release this new version in a week or two.
puzzle2.png
puzzle2.png (95.81 KiB) Viewed 1632 times

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:48 pm

This looks good and in a timely fashion. I might have to get parallels for the Mac just for this.
#1016 - 1M x 1M Y: Dual Motor Drive w/Looped Belts, X:Dual Rail with wlanfox blocks, Z: Stock, Spindle:DW660

Chemeleon

Post by Chemeleon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:11 am

I've not heard of anyone attempting to run it on a mac yet, but as long as parallels can handle .net and directX, I suspect it'd be fine.

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:16 pm

One thing that I wish I had available software wise is the ability to cut paper with a drag knife. I have not found software in the DIY price range for this yet.

It could be an additional opportunity for you.
#1016 - 1M x 1M Y: Dual Motor Drive w/Looped Belts, X:Dual Rail with wlanfox blocks, Z: Stock, Spindle:DW660

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:25 pm

Chemeleon wrote:I've not heard of anyone attempting to run it on a mac yet, but as long as parallels can handle .net and directX, I suspect it'd be fine.
Right now I am using CAMBAM on Linux Mint. It uses the mono library :

From Monos Project Page:

"Mono is a software platform designed to allow developers to easily create cross platform applications. Sponsored by Xamarin, Mono is an open source implementation of Microsoft's .NET Framework based on the ECMA standards for C# and the Common Language Runtime. A growing family of solutions and an active and enthusiastic contributing community is helping position Mono to become the leading choice for development of Linux applications."

CAMBAM has been doing really well for me.

Would DIYCAM be able to do the same?

Chemeleon

Post by Chemeleon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:17 pm

bjbsquared wrote:One thing that I wish I had available software wise is the ability to cut paper with a drag knife. I have not found software in the DIY price range for this yet.
I'll try to remember to include drag knife specific support when I do the big 2d vector/vcarve program I have planned. You probably could use carve for it at least to a limited degree though, with its ability to generate a profile path from the alpha of an image. Set your dimensions, pick any bit, and add an offset equal to -bitRadius to put it directly over the edge, and set a shallow cut depth.

I don't remember which company it is, but I know one of the ones that makes a drag knife holder that fits in the router collet has a free little script you can run on gcode that adds some movement to corners to ensure the knife is oriented properly.

I may look into how much work it'd be to switch over to Mono. My main hesitation though, is I don't like the idea of selling software on platforms on which I'm not confident I can solve any issues people may have. While I've used linux and osx some in the past, I'm not nearly familiar enough with them to think I can solve any weird config issues people might have or what have you, and I don't think it fair to sell to those markets if I may not be able to solve all issues.

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:05 pm

I think you are thinking of Donek Tools. They offer a knife and software solution for $400. I think we, as a community, can do just as well for less.

Chemeleon

Post by Chemeleon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:10 pm

Yep, thats the one. They have a free excel program here to add their corner actions to gcode: http://donektools.com/free-cnc-router-software/links-2/ Though, how much that little jiggle on the corners matters I don't know since I haven't used a drag knife yet. I do agree their holder is beyond my budget though, at some point I plan to design my own cheaper solution for that.

selektha

Post by selektha » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:17 am

I will buy a license as soon as more money lands on my account, maybe not for the reason that I will use it allot but just because I really like the project and would like to support you!

Edit: I get permission denied when I try to download the trial.

Edit2: The top donwload link works, the bottom one says permission denied :)