Wooden gear DFX/DWG file to cut using Makercam.

mkilci

Wooden gear DFX/DWG file to cut using Makercam.

Post by mkilci » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:49 am

Hello everyone,

Just finished building my new SO2.I want to build a wooded gear clock and purchased the files.

When I open the file in AI or Corel Draw, the gear is made up of many segments. When I export and open in Makercam the gear is getting imported scaled in one axis.

What is the right workflow or steps to bring the file and cut? Any advice greatly appreciated...

Here is the AI file after importing to Illustrator and exporting.

Thanks
Attachments
gear.ai
(120.57 KiB) Downloaded 133 times

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Wooden gear DFX/DWG file to cut using Makercam.

Post by WillAdams » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:06 am

The problem is the file was composed of groups and many subset paths.

The solution is to un-group and decompose until one gets down to the constituent components, then join things back together into a single composite path.

Here's a fixed file:
Attachments
gear-svg.txt
(35.01 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

mkilci

Post by mkilci » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:56 am

This file looks perfect. DId you do that in Illustrator or another app? Can you tell me the steps (it looks like the outer shape is combined paths as one and the inner cuts are separate paths?)? I have few more gears to complete and would like to learn the procedure. Thank you for taking the time and fixing and uploading.

My other question is this. I opened the file in Makercam and created a profile. I included a screen shot. It seems like the cut is not going to go all the way through the gears outer dimensions. Is that normal? Do I need to use another app to generate the GCode? I was looking at the Cut2D from Vectric SW. I would rather spend the money on upgrading the machine, but I l will invest in the SW if necessary. Or do you use/recommend another app to do that. I spent many hours in this forum and the amount of info is overwhelming (in a good way).

Thanks again for the help.
Attachments
gear-in-makercam-screen-shot1.jpg
gear-in-makercam-screen-shot1.jpg (465.58 KiB) Viewed 1829 times

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:46 pm

The problem is your end mill diameter is too large to reach into the very fine gears you have.

I'll re-do the fix and write a detailed note on what I did in InkScape (unless they've fixed it, it would've been miserable to do this in Illustrator, which I find incredibly annoying to use, and have since v3.2) --- but it's all pretty basic vector program usage.

Good work guidelines when doing vectors:

- rule of thirds --- off-curve nodes should extend approximately 1/3rd of the way toward the next on-curve node
- conciseness --- never stack two paths unless absolutely necessary, never use a group where a compound path will work, &c.
- let the program do work where you can, punch and otherwise combine paths to quickly and efficiently create complex paths.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:56 pm

Fixing the gear.ai file (the following shows one way to do this --- there could be a lot of variations, depending upon one's working style):

- open it in InkScape --- the default settings will be fine.
- switch to the solid arrow tool (Select and Transform Objects arrow/pointer tool --- tap F1 to get it)
- Ctrl-a to Select all (the other thing to do w/ a vector drawing program is learn your keyboard shortcuts and modifiers --- it should be like playing the piano, you just create, w/o worrying about how your hands are doing it)

Look at the bottom status bar and note that we have a group --- this all has one fill / stroke, so should be a single object.

- Ctrl-G (that'd be <Shift><Ctrl>G --- I've never understood why keyboard shortcut descriptions can't be considered to be case-sensitive) to ungroup.

Note that we now have 693 objects ``Clipped in layer gear'' --- we need to get that down to 1 object.

- Object | Clip | Release
- delete the black clipping path which is the size of the rectangle
- Ctrl-a again --- one now has another group
- Ctrl-G again --- now one has 693 discrete groups
- Ctrl-G for the final time --- finally we have 693 objects of type path --- which is a fundamental element type
- Ctrk-k --- (Path | Combine)

Finally, we have a single object, a compound path of 1,396 nodes suitable for import into MakerCAM or anything else.