First Cut

samng

First Cut

Post by samng » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:19 pm

hi,

I just encountered a first cut problem. I used CAMBAM to generate g-code The first two tasks (profile1 and profile2) were done perfectly but the final task (profile3) was out of control and cut in a mess. I attached three images here, I don't know what wrong is, Can anyone give me a hand?
Attachments
03_s.jpg
03_s.jpg (111.52 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
02_s.jpg
02_s.jpg (86.68 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
01_s.jpg
01_s.jpg (46.5 KiB) Viewed 1318 times

twforeman

Re: First Cut

Post by twforeman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:36 pm

Could be any number of things.

- overheating drivers - do you have a fan on the board?
- bit slipping in the chuck?
- cork moving around during the cut? how was it fastened down?
- slipping pulleys?
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

danimal

Post by danimal » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:37 pm

To me that looks like your steppershield is overheating. I would recommend getting a fan and or heatsinks and tune your currents for your motors to minimize heating. I think that there is a wiki for adjusting motor currents. That seems to be the hardest part in the beginning. Really getting a good amount of airflow across the controller is the best thing, and if you add some heat sinks I doubt that you will have any more problems.
Shapeoko # 1458

RT0701C Spindle || dual y motor || x axis nema23 with custom carriage 1000mm length || z axis nema23 linear rail upgrade with 1/2-10 ACME

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:17 pm

Hi Samng,

Looks like you're getting close. I concur with both danimal's and twforeman's suggestions.

As a side ntoe: Please do not intentionally post the same topic in two places. It makes helping you more difficult and (as shown by the near identical answers) creates redundant work for fellow forum members.

your two identical posts have been merged into one. The merged topic has been moved into the correct forum.

Carry on.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:25 pm

danimal wrote:I think that there is a wiki for adjusting motor currents. That seems to be the hardest part in the beginning. Really getting a good amount of airflow across the controller is the best thing, and if you add some heat sinks I doubt that you will have any more problems.
Correct. We have some information here: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... or_Current

and that has a link to the official: http://www.synthetos.com/wiki/index.php ... or_Current

(but please read the ShapeOko wiki first --- there's an important caveat there)

Agree that adding a fan (and/or heat sinks) is a worthwhile thing to do.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

samng

Post by samng » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:29 pm

I have no fan to cool the board.

The problem I observed is that When the spindle is cutting the big circle, it would suddenly stopped for a while and recovered to cut afterward. So, it would miss several lines of g-code and the result became mess.

The cord was mounted firmly on the cutting platform so the third point can be ignored.

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:46 pm

If you have no fan, and the machine is stopping and starting, then you are most likely having thermal shutdown issues.

Get some cooling on the driver board.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

Schruminator

Post by Schruminator » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:10 pm

This could be due to excessively long lines of gcode, although I would have though the eyes and smile would have also caused an issue.

Regardless, it'd be useful to make sure your lines are limited to 50-70 characters depending on what you're using. Som epoking around the forum about long gcode lines should stir up some more specifics on this one (some of the gcode senders have an option to automatically trim the long lines).
1.8m x 1.0m SO2 #3638 / Vectric Aspire / ACME Z-axis / View my photography at http://www.mschrum.com

selektha

Post by selektha » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:19 am

Looks like my old problem with unshielded wires, bought high quality shielded wires and my problems where solved.

The motors and rotary tools(like dremels) generate a huge amount of EMF that can create erratic behavior.