Makercase.com - creating custom tabbed boxes

selektha

Makercase.com - creating custom tabbed boxes

Post by selektha » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:25 am

Hi,

Tried searching for makercase but did not get a match for that so now my question is if anyone tried it?

Seems like an easy software to use and create custom boxes with.
http://www.makercase.com/

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Makercase.com - creating custom tabbed boxes

Post by WillAdams » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:49 pm

Interesting. We do list 2 similar box generators on the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... Generators --- will add this one as well.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:40 pm

I have used makercase several times for laser cut project boxes. It's works as advertised and has a lot of nice features like tab width, text engraving, and joint style.

For laser cutting, it's great.

For milling, if you are using the t-slot or finger joints it's a good starting point, but will require some manual modifications in order to make the files usable.

Each inside corner will need to be overcut to allow for the sharp outside corners to fit nicely into the inside corners. One way to do this in Inkscape is to add a circle to every inside corner of the profile, then use the 'difference' command to remove that shape from the underlying shape. See images below for details.

Unedited profile:
standard_cut.png
standard_cut.png (7.01 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
Profile with circles on inside corners (Before difference command is applied)
circles_on_corners.png
circles_on_corners.png (15.46 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
Profile with inside corners overcut (after difference command applied)
over_cut.png
over_cut.png (12.25 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:43 pm

CamBam will add the dogbones for profile cuts. I am curious if it would do this for all the tabs. I don't see why it wouldn't, but I have not gone that far down the CB path.

Edit: I just played with this. Is a .json file specific to lasers? What I was hoping is that I could take this into CBa and see what could be done with it. I am not familiar with this extension.
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

wz9v

Post by wz9v » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:10 pm

I have yet to try it but the Pro version of ViaCAD claims to have common woodworking joints in its library.
Shapeoko 2 - Mechanical kit 4731
Z-Axis Acme Screw Upgrade / Makita RT0701C / Re-enforced Y and X-Axis / External Belts on Y / Extrusion work top

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:27 pm

Meanderbolt - maker case should present you with Ann Svg file to download by clicking the generate laser cutting case plans button.

sent from my phone, using tapatalk
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:34 pm

Right. Missed that.

In case anyone want's the convoluted work flow...

So, I made a generic box (set for mm) for testing workflow (don't want to run all the way through it and hit a wall somewhere). I "generated the laser cutter case plans" in the MakerCase, and downloaded an svg (thank's Edward). I like to work in Draftsight which needs a dxf or dwg, so I ran the svg into Illustrator. I reset to the file to mm (looks like Illustrator ignored it, or MakerCase didn't send it), and exported to Dxf. Imported to Draftsight. Once again I had to tell it that the units were mm (what gives... is this not embedded into the file?), and separated the edges by 5mm (because I have a Shapeoko, not a laser). I saved this and brought it into CamBam. I selected a side, made a profile MOP, and set the style to "CutOuts + Tabs + Corners", told it my tool width (3.175), depth (-6.42), and had it make the tool paths. Upon inspection we do have the dog bones. Yeeeyuh!

I used Illustrator as I have it for my work, but I am sure that you could do this in Inkscape.

Now that I know how to run this, I am off to make some real measurements although, I am half tempted to just make a teeny little box.
DogBones.jpg
DogBones.jpg (131.57 KiB) Viewed 1918 times
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log