HeeksCNC 1.0

danimal

HeeksCNC 1.0

Post by danimal » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:49 am

HeeksCNC 1.0 was released middle of last month and I decided to pay the $17 US for the program and give it another go. I have to say that it is much improved over the version I had previously installed. I was up and running cutting fairly complex 3D objects in just an hour or so. I have quite a bit of experience with the old HeeksCAD and CNC, so that sped up my progress a little. I would recommend it as a cheap alternative to "hobby grade" CAD/CAM packages. Also they have a whole help section now that while very basic, has most of the stuff necessary to get you milling.

http://heeks.net/
Shapeoko # 1458

RT0701C Spindle || dual y motor || x axis nema23 with custom carriage 1000mm length || z axis nema23 linear rail upgrade with 1/2-10 ACME

wz9v

Re: HeeksCNC 1.0

Post by wz9v » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:53 pm

Has anyone tried porting this to a Mac?

I would assume since it's Python and runs on Linux, it seems it would be possible.
Shapeoko 2 - Mechanical kit 4731
Z-Axis Acme Screw Upgrade / Makita RT0701C / Re-enforced Y and X-Axis / External Belts on Y / Extrusion work top

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:28 pm

Any issues with the g-code on the Shapeoko?

BRuce
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

danimal

Post by danimal » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:16 pm

Woodworker wrote:Any issues with the g-code on the Shapeoko?

BRuce
I used to have problems with the old version, specifically for 3D tool paths. But the new version approaches it differently when you make a surface independent of the operation. Then you make your tool paths using either profile or pocket and it maps it to the surface you created previously. It really was very easy to make very complex tool paths. Also it seems that the tool path computation is taking place in the background now. It used to lock up your computer and crash the program if you gave it more than it could handle. But now it just does the post processing in the background while I am working on other stuff.

I have no doubt that the tool paths would work on Shapeoko. I just select the output from the output window and save it as a text file. I used this method on my old stock shapeoko and it worked great. I am running a G540 and linuxCNC based machine now, so I cannot give a 100% guarantee.
Shapeoko # 1458

RT0701C Spindle || dual y motor || x axis nema23 with custom carriage 1000mm length || z axis nema23 linear rail upgrade with 1/2-10 ACME

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:17 pm

danimal wrote:
Woodworker wrote:Any issues with the g-code on the Shapeoko?

BRuce
I used to have problems with the old version, specifically for 3D tool paths. But the new version approaches it differently when you make a surface independent of the operation. Then you make your tool paths using either profile or pocket and it maps it to the surface you created previously. It really was very easy to make very complex tool paths. Also it seems that the tool path computation is taking place in the background now. It used to lock up your computer and crash the program if you gave it more than it could handle. But now it just does the post processing in the background while I am working on other stuff.

I have no doubt that the tool paths would work on Shapeoko. I just select the output from the output window and save it as a text file. I used this method on my old stock shapeoko and it worked great. I am running a G540 and linuxCNC based machine now, so I cannot give a 100% guarantee.
Thank you. I will give it a try as soon as mine arrives and is assembled. It looks promising.

BRuce
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

Nigel K Tolley

Post by Nigel K Tolley » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:13 pm

If he has solved the InstaCrash problems, then great. It was always my favourite CAD program but I had to give up because it was just too unstable. Certain operations would cause it to crash out instantly and, well, if that's something you needed to do, you were stuffed.

I'll be sending him some money I suspect. Certainly far cheaper than what I replaced HeeksCAD/CAM with!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

danimal

Post by danimal » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:48 pm

Nigel K Tolley wrote:If he has solved the InstaCrash problems, then great. It was always my favourite CAD program but I had to give up because it was just too unstable. Certain operations would cause it to crash out instantly and, well, if that's something you needed to do, you were stuffed.

I'll be sending him some money I suspect. Certainly far cheaper than what I replaced HeeksCAD/CAM with!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
So far it seems to be much more stable. I had a really complex model that I was generating a surface from and running a finishing pass over it with a .002" step-over and, though it took about 10 minutes to generate everything, it did it without crashing even while I did other work on the computer. There already have been some additional fixes that have come out, but I really have not found any bugs or had any of the problems that I have had in the past.
Shapeoko # 1458

whirlybomber

Post by whirlybomber » Mon May 05, 2014 6:27 am

Has anyone who is using HeeksCAM 1.0 edited the machine settings at all?

I compiled for Ubuntu using the link from the HeeksCAD page, and only have machine profiles for Mach3 and LinuxCNC. I suspect that when I greate the Gcode it is putting in commands that my Gshield cannot use (tool changes and so on).

Also, I noticed that on pocketing operations the tool is retracted to the safety height between each cut height, where I think it should just plunge down to the next level.

I did watch a Video about it on YouTube, but it was all (Python) to me.
ShapeOko 01 s/n 1910

Llamas

Post by Llamas » Sat May 10, 2014 2:29 am

The retraction between step-downs is expected in HeeksCNC-generated toolpaths. The keep tool down setting looks like it's talking about between curves in a given pocketing operation.

The bug causing a hole to get drilled into the starting point for 3D zig-zag operations is still there. The rapid operation does not check for the modified min z like the feed operation does... I figured out a workaround, but it doesn't use the configured rapid safety space:

In recreator.py, replace the rapid method with this version that mimics what feed does:

Code: Select all

def rapid(self, x=None, y=None, z=None, a=None, b=None, c=None):
        px = self.x
        py = self.y
        pz = self.z          
        self.cut_path()     
        if x != None: self.x = x * units
        if y != None: self.y = y * units
        if z != None: self.z = z * units

if self.x == None or self.y == None or self.z == None:
            self.original.rapid(x, y, z, a, b, c)
            return
        if px == self.x and py == self.y:
            # z move only 
            nz = self.z2(self.z)/units
            if nz > z:
                # add a safety space above the z min
                nz = nz + (1 / units)
            self.original.rapid(self.x/units, self.y/units, nz, a, b, c)
            return

self.original.rapid(x, y, z, a, b, c)

I'm not convinced that the scenarios other-than Z-only movement are handled correctly in rapid or feed, but this is all I had time to mess with.

--Mike

Llamas

Post by Llamas » Sun May 11, 2014 8:11 pm

There's also a (not-new) issue if you mix attached and non-attached operations. It's not subtle, the post-processing will blow up.

If you're compiling the project yourself, adding the following line to Program.cpp at line 887 or 898 will fix the issue:

Code: Select all

theApp.m_attached_to_surface = NULL;