How to CNC a finger-jointed box?

crazeegeek

Re: How to CNC a finger-jointed box?

Post by crazeegeek » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:49 pm

Thanks Woodworker. I think I will spend this evening doing some reading.

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Thu May 01, 2014 12:16 am

You are welcome, let me know if you have other questions. I've made many of the mistakes, some more than once. :-)

BRuce
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

Signals

Post by Signals » Fri May 02, 2014 2:01 am

cvoinescu wrote:You can still do them in one go, because the joints I suggested must be milled from the face that will become the inside of the box. If you can use one tool for everything, it gets even easier. A palm router should make short work of this, especially with a good quality 1/4" or 3/8" endmill.
Yep, this is what I'm going to end up doing. Either that or possibly the dado, just because it can be milled so quickly.
Last edited by Signals on Fri May 02, 2014 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Signals

Post by Signals » Fri May 02, 2014 2:03 am

Woodworker wrote:Miter joints in wood, with standard glues, are not very sturdy. The glue wicks into the end grain and starves the joint of strength. You can add splines to the joint, but that just complicates it again.

Will these speakers be painted, stained or naked?
Just a tung oil finish with some wax at the end I figured. Looking for something simple that looks good.

Yeah, I'm looking to get away from miter joints now for a couple reasons.

1) It's easier and quicker to glue and clamp a joint that locks in.

2) Miters don't look very exciting, but neither do regular dados to be fair, haha.

3) The speakers were previously made of MDF, so there was no end grain to speak of and gluing wasn't a problem before... :)

Signals

Post by Signals » Fri May 02, 2014 8:19 pm

Well, here's my initial design. Fast to machine, easy to glue, will definitely be strong enough. The only real negative side to it is it doesn't look fancy.

I wonder if I should do some sort of "faux" joint. It would be easy to machine the look of wooden dowels for example, onto the sides.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:02 pm

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets