Help getting/installing software-Shapeoko 2(mac-windoz xp)

kristenanne77

Help getting/installing software-Shapeoko 2(mac-windoz xp)

Post by kristenanne77 » Thu May 08, 2014 5:03 pm

Hi. New to the forum.
Just bought a Shapeoko 2 full kit and am looking to find the right software to test the arduino board and controllers. I am new to this type of software.
From what I have read I need grbl software is on the arduino board already.
From what I have read I need to get Computer Aided Design (CAD) Software, then Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM) Software to change the information from the CAD program into G code, and a Universal G code sender to send the G code information to the arduino board. So I need 3 different software programs on the computer.

I have an macbook about 6 years old running Snow Leopard and also running Windoz XP on the computer as well.
I am very confused :( about all the software options and how all the three programs should be integrated together. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find and install the software on my computer. It can be either for mac or Windoz XP, since my computer runs both. I am even open to buying some inexpensive software(about $50-100) that could do the CAD, CAM and G Code sender function that would make my life easier, but it would have to be able to run on either my mac snow leopard or windoz xp platforms. I really don't want to buy another computer.

Since testing the software is one of the first steps before assembly, I need to do this quickly! Currently I have a pile of parts on my table … just waiting :shock: .

Thanks
Kristen

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Help getting/installing software-Shapeoko 2(mac-windoz x

Post by WillAdams » Thu May 08, 2014 5:43 pm

You should be able to use the following options (all for either Mac OS X or Windows XP):

To start, you'll need to communicate w/ your machine:

- Universal G-Code Sender --- http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ode-Sender (if Java isn't an option, then try Grbl Controller --- http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Grbl_Controller --- Mac version here: http://zapmaker.grblcontroller.s3-websi ... ller35.dmg )

(this is covered in http://docs.shapeoko.com/software.html )

Once you have that installed and running, you can test your motors, Arduino and gShield and proceed w/ assembling the machine.

Then, when you want to design / make stuff, to start I'd suggest:

- Inkscape --- (design/draw) http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Inkscape (you'll need to install X Window support on Mac OS X)
- MakerCAM --- (prepare files for milling) http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/MakerCAM (this is a Flash file which you can run locally if you wish)

(the documentation walks you through using the latter in http://docs.shapeoko.com/firstjob.html )
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

kristenanne77

Post by kristenanne77 » Fri May 09, 2014 2:16 am

Thanks Will. Some success and a few more questions.

I downloaded and installed both grbl controller 3.6.1 and inkscape. (windoz xp)
They both open up fine.

I also downloaded the makercam file. When I click on it it opens up browser (I am using firefox right now).
It looks like a menu bar on top of the browser with Menu items like File, Edit,Insert, CAM, Toolpaths, Nesting... so that looks good for when I am ready to use it.
So it looks like I am off to a good start.
Before building, am I supposed to test the shapeoko 2 electrical components with only the grbl controller program through the usb to the arduinio? Since nothing is mounted what would I expect to happen?
Also, what values would I put in the grbl controller blank fields for Port Name, Baud Rate, X,Y,Z coordinates and any other stuff you can think of....
Also it asks to choose file but I didn't make any files yet.

Thanks
Kristen

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri May 09, 2014 2:30 am

kristenanne77 wrote: I downloaded and installed both grbl controller 3.6.1 and inkscape. (windoz xp)
They both open up fine.

I also downloaded the makercam file. When I click on it it opens up browser (I am using firefox right now).
It looks like a menu bar on top of the browser with Menu items like File, Edit,Insert, CAM, Toolpaths, Nesting... so that looks good for when I am ready to use it.
So it looks like I am off to a good start.
Great!
Before building, am I supposed to test the shapeoko 2 electrical components with only the grbl controller program through the usb to the arduinio? Since nothing is mounted what would I expect to happen?
Correct. As noted here: http://docs.shapeoko.com/electronics.html all that's expected is that the motors turn.
Also, what values would I put in the grbl controller blank fields for Port Name, Baud Rate, X,Y,Z coordinates and any other stuff you can think of....
Leave things at the defaults until there's a reason to change something.
Also it asks to choose file but I didn't make any files yet.
You can test the motors and jog the machine w/o loading a file.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri May 09, 2014 9:38 am

kristenanne77 wrote:I downloaded and installed both grbl controller 3.6.1 and inkscape. (windoz xp)
Spelling it "windoz" (or anything other than "Windows", for that matter) is so 1995. It stopped being funny, or hip, or witty, almost 20 years ago. Just sayin'.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

kristenanne77

Post by kristenanne77 » Fri May 09, 2014 1:05 pm

Thanks again Will.

Will hopefully get to the wiring and testing this weekend.
Also I installed crbl controller v3.5, Inkscape v0.48.2-1 and xquartz2.72 on the mac side of the computer.
They "open up" fine so thats encouraging.
I don't know what xquartz does but I believe that is needed to run Inkscape?)

The makercam program runs on the mac browser as well. (using firefox) at the moment

So after I get the electrical wires connected I would like to try testing on both platforms.

Kristen

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri May 09, 2014 1:40 pm

kristenanne77 wrote: I don't know what xquartz does but I believe that is needed to run Inkscape?)
XQuartz is an X Window client which allows one to run programs written using the X Window protocol, which is a typical one for graphical Unix/Linux programs.

I believe there's an effort to rework Inkscape so that it doesn't run under X Window --- not sure what the schedule is for that.

Llamas

Post by Llamas » Fri May 09, 2014 5:50 pm

[quote= kristenanne77]Also, what values would I put in the grbl controller blank fields for Port Name, Baud Rate...[/quote]

The port will depend on what ID the operating system assigns to the USB connection to the controller. Depending on which USB port I plug mine into, Windows might call it COM6 or COM11, based on some accounting of the number of USB ports, the phase of the moon, and other unknowns. Bottom line is that you can select from the list of ports until you find the one that works.

The integration between the design, CAM, and control software is there is no integration. You design something, save it to a format that your CAM software can read, use the CAM software to describe how you want to make the cuts, generate and save the G-Code to make those cuts, and then use the control software to send those G-Code commands to the ShapeOko's controller. The bad news is, you have to sort out what you want to for each role. The good news is that they don't depend on eachother (except maybe for design and CAM supporting a common file format), so if you don't like one piece of software, you can usually try another without changing the pieces that work for you.

Side note: People tend to leave gaps when explaining things they know well because of the things they assume are common knowledge. While you are going through the existing guides/docs, if you can make notes about things that don't make sense, require more info or links to info on related fundamentals, gaps in the information, and things that are difficult to find, the community can improve the documentation at the same time they clarify things for you.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri May 09, 2014 6:00 pm

re: setting the COM port for the Arduino.

The software page: http://docs.shapeoko.com/software.html notes:
You may want to run the program before connecting the Arduino --- this will allow you to check and see if your system has any pre-existing ports --- make note of any, once the Arduino is loaded it should be on a new port.

ALuomala

Post by ALuomala » Sat May 10, 2014 10:40 pm

cvoinescu wrote:
kristenanne77 wrote:I downloaded and installed both grbl controller 3.6.1 and inkscape. (windoz xp)
Spelling it "windoz" (or anything other than "Windows", for that matter) is so 1995. It stopped being funny, or hip, or witty, almost 20 years ago. Just sayin'.
I've never really understood the hatred or bitterness myself (I started on Apple ][ back in the day, and was primarily a PC user until a few years ago when I bought a Mac for work purposes (graphics and video editing), and I kind of wish I never did). I have never gone down the Linux route, mainly due to lack of time, so I'm not really sure what I've been missing.

One thing, besides the obvious grammar-nazi issue (of misspelling), about doing this (windoz vs Windows, or many other common words) is that it prevents basic searches from yielding workable results. That annoys me more than the lack of attention to detail (that is what 20 years in the military does to you...).

Allan
ShapeOko2, serial ??
DW660 spindle;
Upgrades: 900mm X axis and 1000mm Y axis; ACME Z Axis; modified MDF wasteboard with t-slot
Primary usage: wood crafting (signs, plaques, and ultimately a CNC-made electric guitar)