Aspire-V Carve- Cambam Issues

gperzel

Aspire-V Carve- Cambam Issues

Post by gperzel » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:06 pm

Hi gang;
I have been experimenting with different software which converts vector drawings (dxf or svg) into G Code for use on the Shapeoko using the stock Arduino and GRBL shield. I have primarily focused on Aspire, V carve, and Cambam, with Aspire and V carve being virtually the same. I am taking a Corel Draw (X4) file ( 60 tooth gear )and converting it to a dxf file and then opening it in each of the programs. With virtually the same input machining parameters, the Cambam gcode works fine but the Aspire/V carve causes the machine to go bizerky halfway thru the first cut. I have tried both of the posted post processors and they seem to act with the same bizarre actions, randomly cutting in a whole new direction- not on the workpath. I really like Aspire but am reluctant to invest big bucks in something demented. I tried saving in the Aspire gcode with the same results.
Any ideas??
Thanks
best regards
gmperzel

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Aspire-V Carve- Cambam Issues

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:33 am

If the misbehaviour is consistent, you're probably encountering the Grbl 50/70 line length limitation for the curves:

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... m_Expected
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

gperzel

Post by gperzel » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:04 am

Will;
Thanks- the object is a 7 inch gear with 60 teeth and four internal cutouts. The cutouts are done first and around the middle of the second cutout the path changes and goes off to wherever. If its a GRBL issue, why does Cambam work and the others don't?
best regards
gmperzel

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:33 am

Presumably CamBam or it's post-processor limits the precision to something reasonable --- take a look at the G-code to see.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

gperzel

Post by gperzel » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:37 pm

Will;
Thanks for taking the time on this.
Just looked at the gcode for both the Aspire files using the posted post processors. No line is over 36 characters. Will check others tips mentioned in thread you referenced and advise.
best regards
gmperzel

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:39 pm

I guess it might be a bug in Grbl which something in the problem file triggers --- file an issue on github and post the file there?

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:14 pm

If you are using UGS to send the code to your ShapeOko, you can look at the command table tab to see which commands are sending it screwy.
Have you tried simulating the code in a gcode visualiser, just to check that there is nothing peculiar happening.
It might be worth checking that Aspire is not using variables in the gcode, as grbl does not support them. It would probably just stop if it finds them, however.
The difference between the CamBam code and the Aspire code could be significant, as they may use quite different strategies internally.
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

Schruminator

Post by Schruminator » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:37 pm

I use Aspire all the time and the Shapeoko gcode processor. The only editing I usually do is remove the first line (T1M6 if I recall)--which I believe references a tool change or something along those lines-- and change the file extension (to .nc). Otherwise I've run a few rather complex 2.5D jobs without any software/file issues.

Sorry that's not really of more help-- but at least I can verify that it is possible for Aspire and ShapeOko to play nicely with each other.
1.8m x 1.0m SO2 #3638 / Vectric Aspire / ACME Z-axis / View my photography at http://www.mschrum.com

gperzel

Post by gperzel » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:50 am

Hi Gang;
Thanks to all for the suggestions and comments. I suspect the problem may be spindle noise related interference, but haven't confirmed it. I did change the spindle to the Makita 701C from the DW660 and problem did not reappear running the Aspire file. I will continue to investigate but probbably have to change back to the DW660 to confirm-not something I really want to do as the Makita is a superior machine (see my comparison thread). Will keep posted.
best regards
gmperzel