Just received an email - Easel is available at Inventables

kristenanne77

Just received an email - Easel is available at Inventables

Post by kristenanne77 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:30 pm

Just a heads up ....

I just received an email saying that the Easel program was now available through inventables website.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Just received an email - Easel is available at Inventabl

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:36 pm

I suspect that you may have been invited to the next round of testing --- the easel.com website still has a notice one should ``sign up now for early access''.

Congratulations! Enjoy!

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

jacob32123

Post by jacob32123 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:46 pm

Here is the full text of the email:
Thank you so much for your ongoing support and for your patience as we work to build out Easel. we are happy to announce that every Shapeoko owner who's signed up for the Easel Beta is getting access as of today!

Please follow this link and fill out the survey to get you onboard:
https://docs.google.com/a/inventables.c ... s/viewform

You can then access Easel at app.easel.com by using your Inventables login and password.

You'll also all be added to the Easel Beta google group for discussion, feature requests, showing off the awesome stuff you make, and etc. That's where our development team will make announcements and ask your opinion on things.

Welcome, and send us photos of the great things you make!

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please don't hesitate to let us know. You can email me through this address or directly at chris@inventables.com.

Thanks and have a great weekend!
EDIT: looks like they still have some bugs to work out. The domain on the SSL certificate is wrong, and when I login, it says
The redirect uri included is not valid.
EDIT 2: use HTTP instead of HTTPS to resolve both problems described above.

EDIT 3: Just gave it a try. Unless I'm totally missing something, it's worse than MakerCAM. There is no metric support that I can find. I do all my designs, and know all me feed speeds in mm. I can't find the ability to set feed speeds and pass depths outside of the presets. There aren't many presets, which isn't good, as I cut different aluminum alloys at very different feed speeds. It's the same issue with bit diameters. It only supports 1/32, 1/16, 1/8 and 1/4 inch bits, which makes it impossible to do precise work with my .5mm bits. The SVG import doesn't ask for DPI. I'm not sure what the default is, but that means that it won't work with some software. The only added feature vs. MakerCam that I could find is a 3D view, and a mustache/smiley face tool. It shows a cool UGS style view with toolpaths on the right. I haven't tried "Easel Local" which says it supports sending Gcode.
Last edited by jacob32123 on Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kristenanne77

Post by kristenanne77 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:00 pm

I am not home at the moment, but will check it out later.
(Geeee, I feel so special!)

Auarhau

Post by Auarhau » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:02 pm

Looks like everyone got the invite.
Hey there to Shapeoko owners!

Thank you so much for your ongoing support and for your patience as we work to build out Easel. we are happy to announce that every Shapeoko owner who's signed up for the Easel Beta is getting access as of today!
ShapeOko 2. Nema 17 74 oz·in. GAUPS shield on Arduino Uno. DRV8825 Drivers x4 . Kress 1050 FME-1. Z Acme Screw. Threaded inserts table.

paulkaplan

Post by paulkaplan » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:28 am

Easel developer here, just wanted to clarify a couple things:
jacob32123 wrote:There is no metric support that I can find.
This is correct, we don't currently have support for metric. It is first on our priority list though!
jacob32123 wrote:I can't find the ability to set feed sp eeds and pass depths outside of the presets.
You can set them manually! Just click on the value listed (feed in inches / min, depth per pass in inches) and it will allow you to edit the values.
jacob32123 wrote:The SVG import doesn't ask for DPI. I'm not sure what the default is, but that means that it won't work with some software.
Actually the SVG importer automatically detects the headers created by Inkscape and Illustrator, and scales the DPI accordingly. If you use another piece of software that uses its own DPI, please let us know and we can add automatic detection for that.
jacob32123 wrote: I haven't tried "Easel Local" which says it supports sending Gcode.
Try it! It really is what puts apart Easel from MakerCAM. The shapeoko is automatically detected and you are able to send gcode to your machine through the browser.

Please let me know if there are any other issues. I'm an active shapeoko user myself and really want to make an easy to use product that makes it easier and more fun for everyone to get started in the CNC world.
Paul Kaplan — Easel Developer at Inventables

dougal

Post by dougal » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:08 am

I'm struggling to even log in, i get stuck on the inventables login page in a loop.

kristenanne77

Post by kristenanne77 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:38 am

(FYI: interface used was windoz 7)

I got to the online version.
I still don't understand if this is a CAD program or a CAM program. Is this a substitute for Inkpad or for Makercam?
Since it has a area to put the "depth", I am assuming it is a CAM program.

I also downloaded the off-line computer version. My computer virus program (Symantec) quickly quarantined it because it didn't recognize it, or because it was "very new"...but I got it out of quarantine.

After installing it, I got an error trying to open it up. Said it couldn't find a shortcut. I then went to the directory where Easel was located, and opened the exe file, and it opened the program, but after making a few shapes, while trying to save or open a file (sorry I can't remember which - maybe both) I was getting some kind of error saying that I was not connected to the board. I wanted to try using it to make a design off-line while not connected. Do I need to be connected to a Arduino board for this to work?

Also on the "right side of the interface, the area where you don't draw pretty pictures, there was a "flat" picture of a board which would give you an idea of how your pretty pictures would look As long as you HOLD DOWN THE MOUSE BUTTON while rotating it. Sort of like google maps street up view. Unfortunately, as soon as I let go of the mouse, it snapped back to its unrevealing flat surface (no pretty pictures). Holding the mouse button down to move and view it is a pain.

Looks like a fairly uncluttered interface, but I won't know till I can actually start to understand it better.

That's my two cents for now
K

michaeluna

Post by michaeluna » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:47 pm

Dougal- send me an email at michael@inventables.com and tell me what email address you're using, I'll check it out. It may be that you're using a different email address to log in than the one we had in our system.

Kristenanne77 - We are set up to help solve specific issues at the Easel Beta discussion group, hit us up there if you need help getting started: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum ... beta-users
Owner of ShapeOko #3.

SmokyRick

Post by SmokyRick » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:20 pm

Maybe I will sound stupid, but what is Easel?
Thanks,
SmokyRick
Smoky Rick Crawford in the middle of Northern Illinois, USA.
ShapeOko2 s/n 5200 all stock. Arduino, gshield, Grbl Controller, Autodesk Fusion 360.
Mods: Quiet cut spindle, grbl v0.9g w/ spindle control enabled.