Just received an email - Easel is available at Inventables

jacob32123

Re: Just received an email - Easel is available at Inventabl

Post by jacob32123 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:30 pm

paulkaplan wrote:Easel developer here, just wanted to clarify a couple things:
Thanks for commenting. It's really cool to have the developers address questions.
paulkaplan wrote:This is correct, we don't currently have support for metric. It is first on our priority list though!
Awesome. I'm looking forward to it.
paulkaplan wrote:You can set them manually! Just click on the value listed (feed in inches / min, depth per pass in inches) and it will allow you to edit the values.
That's really helpful. That was the major feature that was missing for me.
paulkaplan wrote:Actually the SVG importer automatically detects the headers created by Inkscape and Illustrator, and scales the DPI accordingly. If you use another piece of software that uses its own DPI, please let us know and we can add automatic detection for that.
That's really cool. The only other piece of software I use for SVGs is FreeCAD (it can import everything, and support SVG exports), which exports at 1px/mm (per: http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... =Draft_SVG).
paulkaplan wrote:Try it! It really is what puts apart Easel from MakerCAM. The shapeoko is automatically detected and you are able to send gcode to your machine through the browser.
That's not a huge improvement for me because I have a desktop computer inside, and a crappy laptop in my garage. I CAM on my desktop, then copy my files over wireless to the laptop in the garage to be sent. Now that you mention it, is it possible to export G-code as a file from Easel? I can't find that option anywhere.

EDIT: I just refreshed the page, and didn't lose all my work. That's a huge improvement.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:04 pm

SmokyRick wrote:Maybe I will sound stupid, but what is Easel?
The only stupid question is the one which is not asked when research reveals no answer.

Easel is Inventables' on-line / browser-based CAD/CAM software: http://www.easel.com/
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

paulkaplan

Post by paulkaplan » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:55 pm

jacob32123 wrote:EDIT: I just refreshed the page, and didn't lose all my work. That's a huge improvement.
Yeah! We are working on implementing the ability to save and recall multiple projects and the ability to make your projects public for others to try out. Of course projects will be kept private unless you want them to be public though.
jacob32123 wrote:That's not a huge improvement for me because I have a desktop computer inside, and a crappy laptop in my garage. I CAM on my desktop, then copy my files over wireless to the laptop in the garage to be sent. Now that you mention it, is it possible to export G-code as a file from Easel? I can't find that option anywhere.
That is the biggest request we have gotten so far (in addition to metric units), so that will be implemented in the coming week (probably Monday or Tuesday).
jacob32123 wrote:The only other piece of software I use for SVGs is FreeCAD (it can import everything, and support SVG exports), which exports at 1px/mm (per: http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... =Draft_SVG).
Cool thanks for the reference, I'll take a look at those SVGs and see if we can auto scale them also.
Paul Kaplan — Easel Developer at Inventables

SmokyRick

Post by SmokyRick » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:43 pm

Thanks WillAdams I am pretty new here and just hadn't heard of it before. Looks pretty cool but I shy away from online software because of our slow connection speeds.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk
Smoky Rick Crawford in the middle of Northern Illinois, USA.
ShapeOko2 s/n 5200 all stock. Arduino, gshield, Grbl Controller, Autodesk Fusion 360.
Mods: Quiet cut spindle, grbl v0.9g w/ spindle control enabled.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:37 pm

It's brand-new, and I've actually been kind of surprised that they didn't keep at least the ``EaselCNC.com'' domain name --- referring to it as EaselCNC makes researching it much easier.

As I've noted elsewhere, it is possible to run some on-line software off-line --- not sure if that'll be possible w/ Easel, since it seems pretty closely tied to the server.

It does work w/ MakerCAM though: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... stallation
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

scott216

What's the URL for Easel?

Post by scott216 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:46 am

What's the URL for Easel? I took the survey that was linked in the email announcement, but after that was just a thank you page; no link to Easel. I went to http://www.easel.com, but that just tells you about Easel and let's you submit your email address. The email said I can use Easel with my Inventables username and password, but I can't figure out where to go.

Edit: Found it after reading email again: app.easel.com. It would be nice if this was a link instead of text in the email.
Shapeoko v2 with DW660
GRBL v0.9i

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:07 pm

There's also a book:

https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... table-book

Free .pdf available for those inclined to read a .pdf.

ZachKaplan

Post by ZachKaplan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:55 pm

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the confusion about logging in. We added a "Sign In" button to the homepage: http://www.easel.com You login with your Inventables account but it needs to be activated first. We activated lots of folks but if it doesn't work instantly it either means you created a demo account when we saw you at SxSW or Maker Faire or we missed your account and we can activated now. Either way we can get that fixed for you.

If anyone wants access toss us an email and we will hook you up. Easel is still in beta as we are nailing down the final few features and bugs before we release it more broadly. If anyone has questions or feedback you can email easel@inventables.com and join the Google group.

Thanks!

Zach

incognico

Post by incognico » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:50 am

Howdy all,

Anyone know if/how you can resize the working envelope for those of us that have an upsized machine?

--Nick

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:45 am

Not currently, that is one of the 250 things they say should be ready "soon". They are a small team so it takes time to roll out new features. I have seen one comment indicating that he did a 22" piece but could not see it all at one time. Mabe you can scroll?
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611