Using a BeagleBone Black

Ninja4826

Re: Using a BeagleBone Black

Post by Ninja4826 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:00 pm

Today, after work, I'm going to be reflashing my Beaglebone with Ubuntu, and configuring it to use BT Sync to sync my GCode folder on my desktop. I'll post a status update if I get it up and running.

On another note:
My main use for the Shapeoko would probably be for PCBs, which is why I use CopperCAM. Is there any PCB functionality for PCBs on MeshCAM?

eagletree

Post by eagletree » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:21 pm

I've not seen anything specifically for PCBs, but it's purpose is to generate gcode from your CAD tool, and I always assumed that the CAD tools would be what would be specific to PCBs. Honestly, I am not versed in PCB generation so I can't say (nor recognize for that matter) what specificity a CAM package would have for PCBs.

Ninja4826

Post by Ninja4826 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:03 pm

Essentially, a PCB CAM program is the same as a normal CAM, but the need for 3D preview isn't necessary. The Z axis values are usually at either of two positions while engraving, either the safe height or the engraving depth. For example, I'm setting up a project to control a skeeball machine with an Arduino and a custom shield. I'm going to be placing a board under the PCB to flatten and hopefully neutralize any angular differences between the bed and the frame. I'm trying to get a consistent 0.25mm depth across the board.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:37 pm

PCBs themselves can have significant variation in thickness, so even if you align your machine well, you may have difficulties. Now that GRBL supports probing, it is possible to probe the PCB at several locations, adjust the Z coordinates in the G-code, and run the adjusted job, following the height contours of that particular board. I believe there has been recent work in ChiliPeppr, both to support GRBL (it was designed for TinyG originially) and to add this probe-and-adjust feature.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:50 pm

Hello. I have the BBB with bebopr++ cape.
I have linux CNC running and a 10inch display with keyboard and mouse.
Its been like this for 1 yr now as I haven't figured out how to map the cape to the shapeoko via linux CNC. ;)
Embarrassing I know.
Last edited by LTMNO on Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShapeOko #1508, TinyG Controller, Dual Y, ACME Z-Axis, MeanWell(S-350-24v), NEMA 23's, 1m Squared t-slot table, OpenRail and the Original Z Makerslide and all Motor Plates...

eagletree

Post by eagletree » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:58 pm

It appeared to me when I looked at it, that the easiest approach to this would have been to use a pcduino3 and a voltage translation board which would directly permit plugging in the gshield. I didn't go any farther with it, because adding in the real-time kernel changes is non-trivial. There are examples of people building the R/T kernel on the net, but it appeared by no means a well-tested mainstream process. Were you planning to hack the BBB OS kernel for R/T? I found two flavors while looking into it, but I have long forgotten what they were called.

Ninja4826

Post by Ninja4826 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:11 pm

cvoinescu wrote:PCBs themselves can have significant variation in thickness, so even if you align your machine well, you may have difficulties. Now that GRBL supports probing, it is possible to probe the PCB at several locations, adjust the Z coordinates in the G-code, and run the adjusted job, following the height contours of that particular board. I believe there has been recent work in ChilliPeppr, both to support GRBL (it was designed for TinyG originially) and to add this probe-and-adjust feature.
1. I NEED THIS SO BAD. I ran a test run on Friday, and the bit went WAY too deep on the left, but as it got to the right, it was barely touching the copper. This was after I flattened the bed.
2. I had never heard of ChilliPeppr before. As I'm looking through, I'd have to say that this is an essential tool for PCB milling. Thank you so much for mentioning it.

EDIT
As I'm looking at ChilliPeppr, I noticed something about a camera? Has anyone here done anything like that with the Shapeoko 2?

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:19 pm

I apologize, I have misspelled it. It's ChiliPeppr, not ChilliPeppr.

Ninja4826

Post by Ninja4826 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:53 pm

Oh as did I haha. Oh well. Is it possible to run the host program on the Beaglebone Black? If so, is there functionality for the webcam service as well?

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:13 pm

I have no idea, sorry.