Can I go from Inkscape to F-Engrave?

Carl Fisher

Can I go from Inkscape to F-Engrave?

Post by Carl Fisher » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:02 am

Looking for a way to take an Inkscape file and generate my cutting profiles in F-Engrave. Basically I have everything laid out and ready to go and I could bring it into makercam and just do a follow path, but I'd like to use the v-carve option to really make proper use of the V engraving bits.

F-Engrave can't import an SVG and I can't seem to make F-Engrave export as a .bmp. It only wants to do .png which F-Engrave doesn't understand.

Thoughts?

Xaracen

Re: Can I go from Inkscape to F-Engrave?

Post by Xaracen » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:12 pm

Carl, you can export dxf from Inkscape, which F-Engrave can import.
Shapeoko v1 #????
500mm Y-slides with dual Y-steppers
375mm dual X-axis gantry
150W DC ER11 Sable2015 spindle
conductive probe via spindle shaft/toolbit (can probe while spinning!)
Arduino Uno running grbl v0.9i with grblShield v4.

Camel

Post by Camel » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:14 pm

You can try Gimp. It's a free Photoshop-type software. It can handle a ton of different file formats.

http://www.gimp.org/

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:34 pm

I really wish F-engrave had an option for importing an SVG --- I've suggested it, but the author demurred. He also suggests using DXF:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/opensourc ... ost1501602
I have no plans to add SVG reading to F-Engrave. Inkscape can be used to convert SVG files to DXF so they can be read by F-Engrave. There are a few tutorials around the net on how to perform the conversion to DXF.
Since you're in InkScape already, you might want to look at gcodetools: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... Gcodetools
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:39 pm

Camel wrote:You can try Gimp. It's a free Photoshop-type software. It can handle a ton of different file formats.

http://www.gimp.org/
Gimp will not work, because it's a raster image editor. It does not handle vector images, except possibly to convert them to raster images and work with them that way.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Carl Fisher

Post by Carl Fisher » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:42 pm

Xaracen wrote:Carl, you can export dxf from Inkscape, which F-Engrave can import.
ding ding ding!!! We have a winner :)

I didn't even think to look for that honestly. One of the images is a bit muddy but I'll play around with it a bit at the source and see what I can do.

Thanks!

Carl Fisher

Post by Carl Fisher » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:02 pm

ahh, so the dxf doesn't quite look like the svg. Lines get a little wonky and fengrave seems to want to do some weird things on one of the images. It runs some paths and wants to carve where there is no detail to be carved.

Carl Fisher

Post by Carl Fisher » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:06 pm

It looks like using Big Blue Saw dxf yields a better result than the built in inkscape dxf. Also seems to give me a faster v-carve time using that.

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:18 pm

There are two other dxf export plugins, I think they are better and better better. I'll check my Inkscape later and verify.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

Carl Fisher

Post by Carl Fisher » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:08 pm

Right now I'm fighting with 2 artifacts that aren't in the svg or shown on the screen but for some reason F-Engrave want's to drill a hole to my max set depth off to the side of 2 sections. Not sure what that's about unless it's something in the dxf that I'm not seeing.

The stock dxf export was definitely much worse than Big Blue.