anybody have experience with FreeCad???

tsikows

anybody have experience with FreeCad???

Post by tsikows » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:25 pm

I have no problem making simple objects on freecad but when it comes to something more complex with many curves i dont have a clue. basically what im trying to do is make a mount for my makita. i know there are several mount files on the wiki, which i have tried to use. most i cant get to work since they are all in stl format. others just dont meet my needs so i oppted to try and make my own (or recreate from other ideas) the base design i am attempting would be similar to this made by WillAdamshttp://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3658 i have made attempts at something similar but i feel like i am going at all wrong. anybody have a clue where to start?

briankb

Re: anybody have experience with FreeCad???

Post by briankb » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:15 am

I have tried and tried to use FreeCad and it is just too much of a mess. In the past two months I have trialed every (EVERY) CAD program in the $3-5k range and I finally settled on a license for SpaceClaim. That said you don't have to spend that much to get something reasonable and easy to use. Designspark Mechanical is a free version of what was spaceclaim 2012 that is available here http://www.rs-online.com/designspark/el ... mechanical

I would also suggest getting to know Sketchup Make and finding various plugins to get you through some of its considerable limitations. The latest version of Sketchup Make (freebie) also includes exporting to STL and opening STL files so that is a huge plus now!

If you are a student I suggest spending $150 for a copy of Solidworks and then go to cadjunkie.com and watch his free solidcad tutorials. You can also get a student license for SpaceClaim 2014 for $50 and the tutorials are available on spaceclaim.com once you give them your contact info.