Cad Software

chrome700

Cad Software

Post by chrome700 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Very new to this CNC thing, and probably going to purchase a Shapeoko 3 sometime in the next year. In the meantime, I'm looking for a decent CAD package to play around with, and see what I can come up with.

Initially I'm looking to create some mechanical / kinetic sculpture type of work, and I'm looking for the right CAD program to model that and play around with the mechanics virtually before moving to the actual world.

Any thoughts on the best place to start with that? Looking at things like Fusion 360 or Cubify Design to start. Is this a good starting place?

Thanks.

tbfleming

Re: Cad Software

Post by tbfleming » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:46 pm

Fusion can create high-speed machining paths:

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:50 pm

First off, it should be CAD.

What has been mentioned / found is on the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/CAD (there's also a separate page for Commercial software).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

chrome700

Post by chrome700 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:57 pm

tbfleming wrote:Fusion can create high-speed machining paths:
Free for enthusiasts as well, or did I read somewhere about the CAM functions be crippled for the free versions?

Can I create 2D parts drawings off of a design as well?

tbfleming

Post by tbfleming » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:59 pm

chrome700 wrote: Free for enthusiasts as well, or did I read somewhere about the CAM functions be crippled for the free versions?

I don't know yet; I just started trying it a couple days ago.

chrome700

Post by chrome700 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:04 pm

WillAdams wrote:First off, it should be CAD.
You're right. I was hoping to get some other people's ideas on what worked well for my application.

MoI3D looks pretty interesting as well but I don't think it's quite right for what I want to start out with.

Thanks.

DanMc

Post by DanMc » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:50 am

If you are interested in kinetics, you might consider a CAD program that has some kinetics built in. I know there are physics plug-ins for Sketchup, Cheetah does some kinetics (although their website is down at the moment), Blender probably does too and it's free. There is also a pretty cool free program called Linkage for figuring out mechanical connections. None of those are ideal for developing files ready for machining, but they might help you in the design process.

chrome700

Post by chrome700 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:11 am

DanMc wrote:If you are interested in kinetics, you might consider a CAD program that has some kinetics built in. I know there are physics plug-ins for Sketchup, Cheetah does some kinetics (although their website is down at the moment), Blender probably does too and it's free. There is also a pretty cool free program called Linkage for figuring out mechanical connections. None of those are ideal for developing files ready for machining, but they might help you in the design process.
I know I said kinetics, but kinetics from a purely physics standpoint might be the wrong word. At this point I'm mainly interested is trying to model various machines, gears, etc, and see if that's something I can't translate to the physical world. An example of something that fascinates me would be something like this:

That said, Linkage looks awesome. Gearotic as well. I guess what I'm looking for is something that lets me play with the outputs of those and similar programs in a 3D space and link it all together. Of course, then figuring out how to build it, either via CNC or 3D printing is the next step.

Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions welcome. I'm on step one of an interesting process.

Edit: Ok, maybe I gotta look at Blender:

I'm not really aiming for animation, but design though.

khauser24

Post by khauser24 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:25 pm

chrome700 wrote:
Free for enthusiasts as well, or did I read somewhere about the CAM functions be crippled for the free versions?

Just looked in to Fusion (ne Fusion 360 Ultimate). Like many Autodesk programs, this is available free for some uses. One way is via Educational software ... this gets you a 3 year license. The other way is their "Startup" license. This takes a little digging to find out who qualifies, but basically as long as you don't have a commercial product available you qualify for the Startup license. This includes hobbyists, etc. The Startup license is a 1 year license, but easily renewed each year. Actually, I think they're extremely smart to do this as it can only build demand for their software in the business arena.

From http://fusion360.autodesk.com/pricing# (Hover over the word "Details" under "Are you a startup (a product not yet commercially available)? If Yes, you qualify as a Startup.":
If you selected the startup entitlement, you will have personal use of Autodesk® Fusion 360™ Ultimate for one (1) year. You will be notified at the end of your entitlement term via email or via a notice to your account. At the end of one (1) year, you will have the option to re-select the startup entitlement of transition to a commercial entitlement.

Auarhau

Post by Auarhau » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:32 pm

chrome700 wrote:

The free version has all the capabilities, so yes you can do cam and 2d drawings, animations, analysis and a lot more (if you qualify for the free licence)
ShapeOko 2. Nema 17 74 oz·in. GAUPS shield on Arduino Uno. DRV8825 Drivers x4 . Kress 1050 FME-1. Z Acme Screw. Threaded inserts table.