Inkscape Help

metalli445

Inkscape Help

Post by metalli445 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:08 pm

I found an image that I wanted to cut out so I saved it as a .jpg file. I then opened inkscape, imported the image, selected it and did the "trace bitmap" action. I deleted the old file and stretched the file to the dimensions I wanted. I saved the file as a.svg file and then used JSCUT to open the file. When I do an "Inside or Outside Operation it wants to cut a border around the image that I want. The problem is that the program will cut the border out first which leaves only the small tabs to secure the rest of the wood while the image is being cut. I'm wondering how can I eliminate the border that goes around my image so it only cuts out the logo. I've attached the .svg file so you can open it in JSCUT or whatever other program you use and you can see what I'm talking about. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Well It says the extension SVG is not allowed. Now I'm not sure how you can see what I'm talking about.
Shapeoko 2 Mechanical Kit - NEMA 23- X and Y axis, NEMA 17-Z axis, Acme Upgrade, DW660 with mounts. Arduino-gShield with .9i loaded

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Inkscape Help

Post by WillAdams » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:16 pm

Change the file extension to .txt (or add .txt at the end).

You should be able to get more control over which path is cut when --- I know MakerCAM allows that.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

metalli445

Post by metalli445 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:25 pm

Thank you! In the meantime I changed the file extension.
Attachments
9inchhighby8inchwide2.txt
(5.74 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Shapeoko 2 Mechanical Kit - NEMA 23- X and Y axis, NEMA 17-Z axis, Acme Upgrade, DW660 with mounts. Arduino-gShield with .9i loaded

metalli445

Post by metalli445 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:26 pm

What I was able to do was use makercam and delete the border and save the file again. Then I opened up JSCUT and loaded the new file and it's exactly what I want.

tbfleming

Post by tbfleming » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:26 pm

Here's how you can fix it in Inkscape:
  • Select the object
  • Path -> Break Apart
  • Delete the outermost square
  • Select everything except the tabs
  • Path -> Combine