Cambam Joining Issue

psppb

Cambam Joining Issue

Post by psppb » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:27 pm

I've noticed that If I personally copy and move parts of imported DXF files around in CamBam that the "Join" Command does not work. Has anyone experienced this problem and furthermore found a solution?

Thanks
Bill

22" x 32" Shapeoko NEMA 23, ACME screw upgrade, DW660 Spindle with TinyG controller

DanMc

Re: Cambam Joining Issue

Post by DanMc » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:40 pm

I've only experienced a fail in joining when there are duplicate parts stacked up. Possibly your parts do not fit within the join tolerance? You can check the location you are trying to join in the points list of the lines dialog.

psppb

Post by psppb » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:31 am

I zoomed in and looked. they were nearly spot on. I even reduced the tolerance to 0.1" and they still did not join. Maybe they were stacked up.
Bill

22" x 32" Shapeoko NEMA 23, ACME screw upgrade, DW660 Spindle with TinyG controller

DanMc

Post by DanMc » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:49 am

You can check if you have duplicates by scrolling through the drawing tree or doing an area select and checking what objects are highlighted in the drawing tree. I've had problems with that before on dxf import.

Caesar S

Post by Caesar S » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:43 pm

Almost all of the DXF files I import have stacked lines.

My trick is to use the Polyline -> Remove Overlaps and use a small threshold (say 0.01" or 0.025mm).

Once the operation completes drag the selection off to a clear area, and delete what remains in the original area.

The new drawing should be overlap free and you can join them.

Joining-wise I start with a reasonable threshold as above, and check if there are missing joins.

For those I individually join with a larger threshold to force the join.