Advice on how to best carve the attached image

etxbkst

Advice on how to best carve the attached image

Post by etxbkst » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:10 pm

Hi! My Shapeoko 2 will hopefully be in my hands by the end of next week! I've got minor experience with the Shapeoko 1; not much though because I could never get it going the way I wanted to. Anyway, This time I got a full kit instead of using Mach3, and I'm hoping for a more friendly experience. After setup and calibration, I'd like to carve this image
Screen Shot 2015-02-07 at 10.02.49 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-07 at 10.02.49 AM.png (81.86 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
out of maybe 1/2" balsa to start. I wanted to get advice on how to best build the paths in MakerCAM, and opinions on my bit ideas. The finished size will be around 6" in diameter.

The outside (done last) would be a profile operation to cut it out, I figured a 1/8" bit. For the inside my thought was to use a v groove bit to give a beveled edge to the whole thing. I want the light green to be the furthest recessed, followed by the dark green, the light brown, the dark brown then the gun, followed by the strip with the name. My thought was to do the deepest cut at 1/4", and step up by 1/16" for each layer. Then I'd route out the letters and dashes at maybe 1/16". Would all of these operations be pockets at varying depths? Is the Vgroove appropriate for the entire thing, or do I need to use a different bit?

Thanks in advance for your help.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Advice on how to best carve the attached image

Post by WillAdams » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:34 pm

lf you can simplify it down to black and white, it should be workable as a V- engraving

As shown, your idea of multiple pockets at various depths would work. Redraw it in lnkscape w/ each colour on a separate layer. Include the outermost circle on each layer and make a composite path for each colour.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

cozmicray

Post by cozmicray » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:55 pm

You could try
bmp2cnc

http://www.mr-soft.net/en/bmp2cnc.html

See:

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... it=bmp2cnc

might be illegal for bears to carry guns?

etxbkst

Post by etxbkst » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:27 pm

Is there any benefit to using inkscape over illustrator (which is what I use)?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:06 pm

The advantage is the existence of CNC-oriented plug-ins other nice aspects are that it's open source and has good support for setting the on-screen dpi.

It also gets one out of paying danegeld to Adobe and avoids the possibility of licensing difficulties.

l also find the interface slightly less exasperating. Despite using AI since v3.2 on my NeXT Cube, I've never found it as comfortable as Freehand.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Caesar S

Post by Caesar S » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:14 pm

If you already use Illustrator (.ai files), MakerCam can open it readily.

The key is for the drawing to be in vector format instead of bitmap.

I believe Illustrator is a vector based, so you should be all set.

ralston4

Post by ralston4 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:25 pm

I create carving patterns like that all the time. I have customers that do a lot of military carvings, these are patterns that I've made http://store.carvewright.com/manufactur ... turerid=50

I create these patterns using gimp and then turn them into g-code using bmp2cnc software. The bit I use is a rounded end conical bit that's tapered at about 9 degrees. Kind of like a pencil bit, 3 or 4 flute.

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:25 pm

cozmicray wrote:might be illegal for bears to carry guns?
In the US, the Second Amendment guarantees us the right to arm bears. :lol:
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:51 pm

CastIrony wrote:In the US, the Second Amendment guarantees us the right to arm bears. :lol:
Good luck herding them into a well-regulated militia.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Caesar S

Post by Caesar S » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:07 am

The bear has always been granted to carry and bear arms. It was born with 2 to begin with :lol:

I did a trace for giggles and attached the dxf file. This was done using InkScape, then exported as DXF to CamBam and exported once more to DXF (I like the clean DXF output of CamBam). InkScape is sufficient to export to DXF.

The vector image needs more editing to more define the different parts of the bear, the background, rifle, etc.

The DXF, CB and SVG files are attached.
Attachments
HuntingBear.zip
(98.9 KiB) Downloaded 34 times