Pocketing with different tools

kiark82

Pocketing with different tools

Post by kiark82 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:00 pm

Hi there!

Since i'm makeing lots of pockets in my works i wondered if there is a way of using different tool sizes to make it quicker. For example: most of the pocket could be cut uing a big endmill whilst i need a very tiny one in the edges. What i am missing is a solution where i can combine 2 tools for one pocket without having to mill everything out 2 times. Are there any solutions? I mostly use cambam and mach3

thanks in advance

kiark

Estlcam

Re: Pocketing with different tools

Post by Estlcam » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:50 pm

Hi,

this is a feature you'll most likely not find on any CAM below $1000.

Christian
Estlcam CAM and Arduino UNO CNC controller: www.estlcam.com

kiark82

Post by kiark82 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:20 pm

Hi,

oh i see, thats unfortunate. is there a specific name for that feature? or do you know any cam programs that have that?

thanks,

kiark

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:35 pm

To be honest, I would have expected CamBam (well under $1000) to be able to do that. I don't know whether it does or or doesn't, but I'd expect you to be able to do a roughing pass with one tool and a finishing pass with another tool in pretty much any CAM program except MakerCAM and Easel.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:15 pm

kiark82 wrote:Hi,

oh i see, thats unfortunate. is there a specific name for that feature? or do you know any cam programs that have that?

thanks,

kiark
I think the Vectric apps have that, but they're on the order of $1k
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

Hans

Post by Hans » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:22 pm

This isn't exactly just rough with one and finish with another, because you'd run into massive tool engagement in the corners. What I think you want is "rest milling" or "remaining stock machining". I've only really used MasterCam and HSMworks, both have this capability. Info page: http://www.hsmworks.com/docs/cncbook/en ... ESTMilling
Shapeoko #1,123

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:26 pm

Hans wrote:This isn't exactly just rough with one and finish with another, because you'd run into massive tool engagement in the corners. What I think you want is "rest milling" or "remaining stock machining".
Yes, you're right, rough and finish won't work. I guess you're probably right that the cheaper CAD programs can't do it.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Hans

Post by Hans » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:46 pm

You could do it manually on the cheaper programs if they don't have it. That is, manually sketch up the remaining material to take out of the corners. At least you could use HSM-style toolpaths with lots of flute engagement and small WOC since the rest of the pocket is already to-depth.

EDIT: How small of corners do you need? I don't think the MRR really improves on a Shapeoko beyond 1/8" endmills. Maybe you'd be better off cutting slightly-relieved corners instead and saving yourself a manual tool change and setup.
Shapeoko #1,123

DanMc

Post by DanMc » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:02 pm

So I just did a quick test in CamBam and in theory it's possible to cheat it, it's a bit of work so it might not be a real time saver.

My steps:
1)produce an inside profile cut of just one layer with the larger tool size
2) toolpath to geometry (make sure the polyline is closed)
3)delete rapids
4)select original geometry and the converted toolpath geometry and create a pocket op

you could play with the tool size in step 1 or do an offset to reduce redundant milling, just don't make the remaining space too small or CamBam will think it's too small for the second mill to fit in

PsyKo

Post by PsyKo » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:35 pm

You can also do the inside geometry (the one you're doing with the toolpath to geometry) with an offset operation with negative value. It should be faster than doing it with the generated toolpath.
Shapeoko #736
Kress 800, Z Axis upgrade, dual Y, 600mm X&Y rails, metal spacers and V Wheels, home switches, 4th axis
Goko - Free CNC Control Software - http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 380#p44380