NX 9 CAD/CAM & Post

rodcar125

NX 9 CAD/CAM & Post

Post by rodcar125 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:39 pm

Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if any of you use NX 9 or any other release of NX to do your CAD/CAM.
Since I use CAD at my workplace, I've been self teaching me to use the CAM side of NX and lately I've been developing a post for the S3 so I was wondering if anyone would give it a try and tell me your thoughts?
I'm saving for my S3 but i think i wont get it til June so i wanted to have everything ready (software wise) when i order one.

Thanks!

CastIrony

Re: NX 9 CAD/CAM & Post

Post by CastIrony » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:55 pm

There are understandably few people using $8k software to run their $1k machines. :D

But if you get a good deal through work or an educational license, I'd love to hear about how it works for you.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:25 pm

We do at least have a section on writing post-processors: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... Processors

We don't seem to have this on the Commercial software page, so if you make one, please add it.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Mrevoir

Post by Mrevoir » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:07 pm

I'm using the student version at school currently, they limit the cam capabilities as far as I know.

rodcar125

Post by rodcar125 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:42 pm

CastIrony wrote:There are understandably few people using $8k software to run their $1k machines. :D
But if you get a good deal through work or an educational license, I'd love to hear about how it works for you.
Whoa, $8k!?!? I suspected was an expensive piece of SW but not that much!! I now understand why there are so very few people using it in the maker community ):
On the other hand, it works great! It has all the features you can imagine and is pretty easy and straight forward to use although it takes a while to navigate through so many options, you can customize almost anything within the program. I've been working with it for quite some time for CAD and assemblies and as I said, I just started using the CAM part of it. Here's a video I did showing my intended first job when i get my S3: http://youtu.be/6W040zN1dcI
Any comments appreciated (:
WillAdams wrote:We do at least have a section on writing post-processors: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... Processors
We don't seem to have this on the Commercial software page, so if you make one, please add it.
I think uploading the post building process wouldn't be that helpful as not every NX license comes with the post processor builder but i could upload the post file so anyone who would like to give it a try could dowload it and install it on their NX copy.
How do I do that?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:45 pm

Youl could upload the post processor to a post here in the Forums, or get an account on the wiki by sending a private message to wikiadmins (I think you need to include your e-mail address).

I really wish that we could have better integration of the forums and wiki somehow.... probably too late though.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

rodcar125

Post by rodcar125 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:52 pm

Mrevoir wrote:I'm using the student version at school currently, they limit the cam capabilities as far as I know.
Can you enter the Manufacturing environment (Ctlr+Alt+M) and create operations? if you do, you most probably can generate the Gcode and if you want, I can send you the post I made for you to try. The "istallation" is just to let the software know (at the post processing window) where the post is.

rodcar125

Post by rodcar125 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:54 pm

WillAdams wrote:Youl could upload the post processor to a post here in the Forums, or get an account on the wiki by sending a private message to wikiadmins (I think you need to include your e-mail address).

I really wish that we could have better integration of the forums and wiki somehow.... probably too late though.

Great, I'll just post it here for every one to use.

rodcar125

Post by rodcar125 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:20 pm

Heres the NX9 post i made for everyone to use if you like.
Disclaimer: Use it under your own risk, I can not be held responsible for any problem/malfunction of your machine so use caution and verify your code. On GRBL, set $C so you can quickly see if there is an error on the gcode before moving the machine. Remember that if a line contains an error, GRBL will discard the hole line and move to the next one.

I have tried it on the UGS with no problems and no errors, of course this is dependent on the settings and tool path that you program so verify it first.

Enjoy and if you encounter any errors and/or want a modification please send me a PM or tweet.

EDIT: It wont let me upload the .pui file. If anyone would like to try PM me your email address and ill send it to you as soon as i can

compwizard7

Post by compwizard7 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:35 am

Hello, I am interested in an NX post as well. Was there any progress made with this? I also can't figure out how to PM you for the post to test.

Thanks,
Chase