form•Z free 3D Cad Software

halfnormal

form•Z free 3D Cad Software

Post by halfnormal » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:04 am

Amazing what you find when you think you have found it all!

form•Z free is a great way to start exploring the power of design with 3D solid modeling. This version has no restrictions for professional, academic, or home use. With form•Z free you can quickly create your own 3D solid models that can even be 3D printed. The models can also be presented using sun studies, real time rendering effects, sectioning and dimensions.

form•Z free features a subset of the tools found in form•Z pro and form•Z jr with the same easy to use dynamic interface. form•Z free uses the faceted portion of the solid modeling engine found in form•Z pro. The solids data format maintains an accurate representation of 3D models which is ideal for 3D printing.

form•Z free includes a self guided tutorial, on-line manual and a series of youtube videos all help you get started using 3D modeling.

FEATURE HIGHLIGHTS

Available for OS X 10.7+ and Windows 7/8.
Imports SKP, KMZ, DWG, DXF, DAE, OBJ and STL files.
Exports STL for 3D printing.
Dimension and annotation tools for presenting accurate information about a design.
Components make sharing and re-using repetitive elements easy.

http://www.formz.com/products/formzfree.html

I have not had a chance to play with it yet so I cannot tell you if it is worth the price! ;-)

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: form•Z free 3D Cad Software

Post by WillAdams » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:29 am

Nice find!

I’m irritated w/ myself that I didn’t find it when it came up in a Slashdot discussion: http://m.slashdot.org/story/183415 which I seem to recall participating in.

Guess I’ll need to re-read that a bit more closely.

Thanks!
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)