Illustrator ro ESTLCAM

markoutram

Illustrator ro ESTLCAM

Post by markoutram » Sat May 16, 2015 4:13 pm

I am new to CNC so apoligies if I have made a silly mistake.

I have drawn a simply 100mm square in Illustrator and I am running a demo version of ESTLCAM. When I open the .svg file in ESTLCAM it is a little over 3.5 times larger than I expected it to be in both directions.

Has anyone else come across this issue, or any ideas how to stop it?

Thanks in advance.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Illustrator ro ESTLCAM

Post by WillAdams » Sat May 16, 2015 4:38 pm

Scaling of SVG files is a known problem / issue. Bit of discussion of it on the MakerCAM page.

Easiest thing to do is make a 1 inch square and do the math on how much to scale before import / export.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

markoutram

Post by markoutram » Sun May 17, 2015 8:51 am

Thanks, I'll take a look. I have a working solution that involves going via Inkscape and saving as a .dxf but it is not elegant!

aam

Post by aam » Sun May 17, 2015 9:40 am

Illustrator can also export .dxf-files!
Use File -> Export instead of Save as.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sun May 17, 2015 2:07 pm

The problem is widely-supported DXFs are often lines only, no arc / curve support. Wrote up a brief note on the wiki on the CAM page:

Notes on file formats:

* dxf --- AutoCAD’s drawing exchange format. Older versions are limited to only straight lines, files are either in Imperial or metric mode
* stl --- stereo lithography triangle mesh. Often used for 3D printing stl is a general-purpose triangle mesh which may be processed by many CAM programs
* SVG --- scalable vector graphics are intended for use on screens, so scaling is done in terms of pixels and defining how many pixels there are in a unit of measure is an afterthought, if considered at all. When trying an SVG file from a new drawing program, if possible always include an object of known dimension for scaling purposes.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets

Xaracen

Post by Xaracen » Sun May 17, 2015 7:30 pm

Isn't the issue with the scaling of svg files based largely on the use of the pixel as a measurement unit? It is not a standard unit of distance, and so is open to interpretation from system/OS/software to system/OS/software. Also, it seems that some drawing apps that export svg do not always include a measurement unit within the exported file, leaving the importing app to guess, or more correctly presume (because that is the standard) that any unidentified numbers are in pixels. This isn't really a problem in the graphics world because pixels are really only relevant for graphical output devices which can obviously vary widely in their resolutions, eg monitors and printers, etc.

In the CNC world, real world units are essential, so the pixel should be avoided, if that is possible. It often isn't.

I've fortunately had no issue with scaling of svg files exported from my Xara drawing s/w, whether or not I tell MakerCAM to use 96 pixels or leave it at the default 72. I was a little puzzled about this given so many people had problems with it so I looked into it.

It turns out that Xara exports every svg file to include a line with the document page size specified in points* and this unit doesn't vary from system to system, and is recognised by Inkscape and MakerCam as a standard svg unit. This is fortunate for me as Xara doesn't offer any option to choose a different unit for svg export. :) Also, as Xara stores all measurements internally as integer millipoints (1/72000") accuracy is very good, and you can even create your own units and scale them to real world distances.

*(unit abbreviation pt, 1 pt=1/72", so A4 becomes width="595.277pt" height="841.891pt")
Shapeoko v1 #????
500mm Y-slides with dual Y-steppers
375mm dual X-axis gantry
150W DC ER11 Sable2015 spindle
conductive probe via spindle shaft/toolbit (can probe while spinning!)
Arduino Uno running grbl v0.9i with grblShield v4.

markoutram

Post by markoutram » Sat May 23, 2015 9:05 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a working solution by creating an export to .dxf from illustrator and it has been working well.

My problem is now in ESTLCAM. The file I have attached is for a standing tree. The simple shape is fine when I select part, it creates a path around the outside of the object.

The problem comes when I try to make a part of the tree with hearts on, it selects the inside of the drawing no matter where I click as if I had selected cutout. If I choose to make a cutout it selects the outside of the path, problem solved you may think but no. It also creates a cut from the origin to the first part of the cur ruining the part, can anyone help? I have attached the .dxf file.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
heart tree ill.dxf
Problem creating path
(116.17 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sat May 23, 2015 12:26 pm

Commercial program, check w/ the developer?

Just be sure not to mention that you’re using a belt-driven machine, or he’ll blame your problems on that.

clockit

Post by clockit » Sun May 24, 2015 6:50 am

markoutram wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a working solution by creating an export to .dxf from illustrator and it has been working well.

My problem is now in ESTLCAM. The file I have attached is for a standing tree. The simple shape is fine when I select part, it creates a path around the outside of the object.

The problem comes when I try to make a part of the tree with hearts on, it selects the inside of the drawing no matter where I click as if I had selected cutout. If I choose to make a cutout it selects the outside of the path, problem solved you may think but no. It also creates a cut from the origin to the first part of the cur ruining the part, can anyone help? I have attached the .dxf file.

Thanks in advance.
I use Estlcam a lot and I have found that when you get those stray unwanted lines it is usually because you have an open segment within the part's path. I downloaded your DXF and got that same stray cut line from the tree to the orgin center. I'll look at it in inskscape and see if what I can do to correct it and holler back.
Shapeoko 2, Full Kit #7071, Makita RT0701C Router, 1000 x 1000 upgrade, Acme Z Axis w/Nema 17 Belt Drive

clockit

Post by clockit » Sun May 24, 2015 7:04 am

i was able to eliminate the stray line that was created earlier, but, for some reason when I went to cut the profile of the tree the 'part' and 'pocket' profile was opposite for some reason. I've never ran across this before... here is a copy of the your file back though...
heart tree new.dxf
(146.01 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Shapeoko 2, Full Kit #7071, Makita RT0701C Router, 1000 x 1000 upgrade, Acme Z Axis w/Nema 17 Belt Drive