Workflow - 3D from CAD to CAM for newbies

DannyBoyNYC

Workflow - 3D from CAD to CAM for newbies

Post by DannyBoyNYC » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:19 pm

What is the preferred way go from CAD to CAM with a simple part similar to this:

So far I have only worked with MakerCam so I'll use that to illustrate my question.

In MakerCam I would create 2 separate 2.5D profiles (one with a pocket to receive the second part) something like this:

...and glue them together after milling.

Ideally I would like to layer the shapes one on top of the other:

...and exclude the topmost from a pocket operation something like this (the image below has been retouched for illustrative purposes):

What is the suggested CAD CAM workflow for newcomers to this field that would allow me to do this? Or am I on the wrong track thinking that this kind of operation is only do-able in MakerCam by creating two parts?

Thanks for any input.

-d

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Workflow - 3D from CAD to CAM for newbies

Post by WillAdams » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

DannyBoyNYC

Post by DannyBoyNYC » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:17 pm

Thanks for the references.

So, from what I understand from the first posting, if I want to remove 1/4 inch of material from the first edge of this:

I might create a single rule in the svg located at half the diameter of the 1/4 inch mill from the edge of the object and specify a Follow Path at the intended depth.

...and continue the process for the remaining edges.

Makes sense.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:40 am

@DannyBoyNYC - actually - it's much easier than any of that. Here is an approximation of your part - and the process I would use to create it in makercam.

Note - the important part here is that by selecting the two rectangles we created, makercam recognizes them as being nested, and allows you to perform a pocket operation! Then, you can select the outside profile of the part and perform an outside profile operation.

Hope this helps.

[edit: sorry for the crappy video quality - anyone know how to go from quicktime export (.mov @ 720p) to youtube without it knocking down the quality to 480?]
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

DannyBoyNYC

Post by DannyBoyNYC » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:19 pm

This is extremely helpful. Thanks so much for taking the time to make this video. The quality was very clear once the stream kicked in.

I'm using pretty much the same workflow - opening the gcode in Sublime text and checking it in the code visualizer - as you are.

The documentation for MakerCam is not at all clear on this point and it suffers from a number of user experience issues - alignment and even selecting a path in a complex document can be difficult (so I prefer to set things up in Illustrator beforehand). Is there an equivalent desktop software for Mac OS X? I have an number of bits that I would like to use (ball, V) but cannot see how I would use MakerCam with them.

MeshCam looked promising but I have run through my week''s free trial without much luck.

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:57 pm

I'm trying CamBam at the moment and finding it very useful. Their trial period is 40 uses, that is every time you open it you lose one use. I keep it open on my desktop and have only used 3 of the 40 in 3 months. I've watched all the videos and read through the user guide so I would have some idea where to start. So far I am happy enough to buy it at the end of the year.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611