Easel: "Raise the bit" issues

drs

Easel: "Raise the bit" issues

Post by drs » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:00 am

I have a Shapeoko 2 that has not yet carved anything. I could use some help. Basically, everything works, or seems to, except when Easel tries to raise the bit it lowers it instead. It thus crunches into my material. It otherwise moves in the correct direction such that if I start it above the material and try to carve, raise the bit lowers it, it then moves correctly into place, then lowers itself properly and moves properly. The workaround is to start the spindle the twice the "raise the bit" distance above the material, but that is not really practical.

I have tried rewiring the Z motor. I have tried re flashing the hardware. I have tried editing grbl settings manually. I have tried updating software. I have tried 3 different computers and all do this. Any ideas?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Easel: "Raise the bit" issues

Post by WillAdams » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:24 am

ISTR other people having this issue.

My suggestion would be to start w/ a different software workflow, one which allows more incremental testing, then once the machine is proved out, try out Easel again. (See if you can find a straight-forward, step-by-step tutorial for using it?)

Overview here: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Software

One thing to check is to see op if there’s an option for setting the Z-axis safety height, and what that is set to.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

lordmundi

Post by lordmundi » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:38 pm

post your current GRBL settings and what you have tried.

Also, I ruined one of my Delrin Z axis nuts (whatever they are called) by it getting jammed into the surface. I bought a new one and a couple of spares. So, if you hear any strange noises, you might consider replacing that before doing important jobs. I don't think this is your issue though.

Can you confirm the Z motor is actually turning the same direction when you command Z negative as Z positive? You can do this by manually entering in the GCODE commands.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:01 pm

My guess is that your z-value is opposite of what it should be. You'd probably find that if you were to enter a manual g-code command to move your Z, it will behave opposite of what you are expecting:

'G21 G1 F250 Z-10'
Should move your spindle down 10mm from zero

'G21 G1 F250 Z10'
Should move your spindle up 10mm from zero

If your settings are backwards, we'll need to see your current GRBL config in order to set them straight, specifically the $2 setting. Or, you can refer to the invert table on the github wiki.

Either way, it should be a pretty easy fix.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

drs

Post by drs » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:28 am

WillAdams wrote:ISTR other people having this issue.
Apparently my search ability stinks as I have not found anything similar.

As a work around I started the bit 2x the height of the raise the bit travel such that "raise the bit" lowered it half the distance, and the lower the bit lowered it the other half. However, all but a very simple (carving a 2" circle) job died before completing. Since everything else checks out, I am thinking that it is time to replace the gshield and/or the arduino.
lordmundi wrote:Can you confirm the Z motor is actually turning the same direction when you command Z negative as Z positive? You can do this by manually entering in the GCODE commands.
Yup. Works fine other than this one thing.