Drawing from Inkscape Plugin - Inkscape-Shapeoko3

emerica

Drawing from Inkscape Plugin - Inkscape-Shapeoko3

Post by emerica » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:12 am

I've modified the "MakerBot Unicorn G-Code Output for Inkscape Plugin" to spit out gcode for drawing.
Very basic fork of the plugin, but it saves me time from having to edit the makerbot generated code.
Still fairly new to a bunch of this, but if it helped me, it will probably help someone else.

I'll probably make more changes as I get free time, like adding some extra delay options for using low power lasers on paper/foam. I'm cutting gaskets and using the sharpie a bit :)

https://github.com/Emerica/inkscape-shapeoko3

Drawing some gaskets

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Drawing from Inkscape Plugin - Inkscape-Shapeoko3

Post by WillAdams » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:20 am

Very cool!

Have you considered a drag knife and adding support for overshooting corners or making a small circle at the beginning of a cut to align a knife?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

emerica

Re: Drawing from Inkscape Plugin - Inkscape-Shapeoko3

Post by emerica » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:16 am

Actually, I've been gearing up to lasercut them.
Tried the laseroko laser setup but the spectrum and power is not right for brown gasket paper. It works but takes 5-10seconds to burn through a given point so gaskets like in the video would take ~4 hours.
Something I could live with for one engine rebuild, but I have lots of mopeds and I'm impatient.
I've got the plans for one of the dragknives on youtube, but the laser will do a cleaner job of circles.
I have a vinyl cutter too which I tried to add a plastic sheet under the paper to cut them, that works for thin paper but is still problematic on thicker stuff, circles, plus blade sticking.

Laserlands is recommending me this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1-6w-2W-445 ... 5d419bd150
So I'll probably try that.

Then I'll modify the plugin some more to for laser on/off if possible or just a faster feedrate between cuts so it doesn't have a chance to start burning.

I've got some unevenness in wasteboard so I think I've going to get some glass cut for doing drawing.
You can see some of my deadspots.
GOPR3270.JPG
Deadspots
GOPR3270.JPG (338.02 KiB) Viewed 440 times
Depending on how you create the paths in Inkscape you can have it do outlines or multiple passes for shading, the made would be a little more complete but the mac ran outta power at ~80%
Probably a good thing, the sharpie had lots of bleed, line through it is a previous test.
GOPR3271.JPG
Maze
GOPR3271.JPG (364.32 KiB) Viewed 440 times