Running universal gcodesender on a Raspberry Pi

oskanaan

Running universal gcodesender on a Raspberry Pi

Post by oskanaan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:14 pm

So I've been using my pi to run the shapeoko 2 for a while now, the only gcode sender that I could run on it is the "Grbl controller". I've been using the "universal gcode sender" before and I really liked it since you could manually enter the movement amount when moving the spindle and it had a "pause" feature which I am really missing now :(. I was wondering if anyone was able to install the "universal gcode sender" on the raspberry pi before? if so, can you share how you did or if there is any tutorial that I can follow to do it myself?

I cant generate the error on my machine now but its the same as below:

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /tmp/rxtxSerial-8942054022052768266.so: /tmp/rxtxSerial-8942054022052768266.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (Possible cause: can't load IA 32-bit .so on a ARM-bit platform) thrown while loading gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /tmp/rxtxSerial-8942054022052768266.so: /tmp/rxtxSerial-8942054022052768266.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (Possible cause: can't load IA 32-bit .so on a ARM-bit platform)

Thanks!!

rodcar125

Re: Running universal gcodesender on a Raspberry Pi

Post by rodcar125 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:02 am

Hi,

In preparation for my S3, I'm messing with a RPi 2 in order to make it wireless attaching a RPi 2 next to the carbide 3d electronics board and making the Pi connect to my wireless network. I have successfully "installed" UGS, you just download the zip file from github to a desired location in your Pi, extract it and run it. Mind you have to update/install Java first, I believe a version of Java comes preinstalled with a RPi2.

Can't remember the code to install/upgrade Java and I don't have my Pi here but If you're interested I'll try to make a quick video tomorrow showing the process when I get to the office since there's where I have it lol

Right now I have set up the Pi so when it boots up automatically starts the JSON server with a custom host name and filtering the ports so it only shows the one needed on chilipeppr. Since I plan to use it headless, I added a script that also runs at boot up to watch a button press and safely turn off upon confirmation with another button press.

Im a big fan of UGS but I believe it can't be used with JSON server... Running UGS in my laptop and streaming the code to it rather than running UGS on the Pi, so I've installed a Remote Desktop app on the Pi and connect to it from my iPad.

Here's a thread where chamnit explores different program alternatives to be run on the Pi:
http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5986

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rodcar125

Post by rodcar125 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:50 pm

You can verify your java version by typing in the terminal

Code: Select all

java -showversion
Heres the reply from mine...

pi@S3Pi ~ $ java -showversion
java version "1.8.0"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0-b132)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.0-b70, mixed mode)
Also, you can install the latest version by running this comand

sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-jdk
And for "installing" UGS you download the zip file, unzip it and run the file start.sh, you may need to change the permision on the file by running this command in terminal from the file directory

chmod 744 start.sh
Lastly, you might want to add a shortcut in your desktop by creating an empty file and adding the code below

[Desktop Entry]
Name=UGS2
Comment=Open UGS2
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/supercollider.png
Exec=<route to your UGS folder>/start.sh
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Terminal=false
Categories=None;
Here's an image showing UGS running on Pi2
Attachments
UGS2@Pi.JPG
UGS running on Pi2
UGS2@Pi.JPG (204.36 KiB) Viewed 1481 times

oskanaan

Post by oskanaan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:20 pm

@rodcar125 , thanks for the info, will definitely try it when I am back from work. I understand that you are running "chilipeppr", do you recommend it? why did you choose it?

I've tried alternatives after my failed attempt to run universal gcodesender before but non worked for me. I've tried using "OctoPrint" , in fact I am currently running OctoPi image, but the application fails to connect to grbl. I believe I had the same issue with GRBLWeb also. I'd rather run something that I can check the status remotely from my laptop as I usually run the machine in the garage while I am in the next room and usually my job runs take a minimum of two hours to be done. I'll have to figure out how to stream webcam feed to my laptop also.

rodcar125

Post by rodcar125 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:19 pm

The feature that i really liked from chilipeppr is that gives you the opportunity to do semi automatic tool changes. When the gcode widget detects an M6 command, pauses the streaming and let you move the machine to a certain position, do a tool offset and resume. I plan on doing aluminum machining with several tool changes so this is a really nice feature for me. Also that the platform is constantly updated and adding features is awesome, i think they've done a pretty good job.

Also, as you mentioned, I want to be able to remotely check the status of the job, stream video and keep my laptop away from all the dust and dirtiness of the shop. Chilipeppr does not work offline so keep that in mind, this is no problem for me since I have a wifi connection available at my shop but if you don't you might look for other solution since chilipeppr wont be supported offline and I think that's for the better (lots of guys complaining about this which I believe is going against an inevitable future, read "Internet of things". Here John, the developer of chilippepr, gives a lengthy explanation about it being an online-only gcode sender http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... r&start=30 )

oskanaan

Post by oskanaan » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:07 pm

I had to use the latest nightly build to get it to work, but the visualization doesnt work, does it work for you? I think I'll build it locally and see what happens.