Any update on GRBL Error: Invalid gcode ID:33?

train_depot

Any update on GRBL Error: Invalid gcode ID:33?

Post by train_depot » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:35 pm

I have seen a few post regarding this error but no solutions posted (at least nothing saying - "aha - that fixed it, thanks")

Summary of the problem we are having...

I Just got my ShapeOko 3 and I have used Autodesk inventor for many years so I installed the HSM plugin. I was able to make a very simple bracket with only the contour and a drill tools, although I had to go into the Gcode and add J0.000 and I0.000 where they were missing in arcs(How do i do this automatically?). Now I have a new problem where Carbine Motion will accept the code, but right after the drill goes into the wood, to start on the 2D Pocket it stops and Carbine gives me "GRBL Error: Invalid gcode ID:33"
Any help fixing these two problems would be appreciated.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Any update on GRBL Error: Invalid gcode ID:33?

Post by WillAdams » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:09 pm

Getting I and J to appear should be a matter of configuring your post-processor.

I solved the one instance of my Error 33 by correcting the source file --- MakerCAM was confused by two path stack on top of each other --- that shouldn't apply here.

My suggestion would be to file a bug report w/ Grbl including the file --- it might be that the error-checking for this could be relaxed, or maybe there's some edge case which is getting mis-calculated.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:57 pm

I0.000 J0.000 are always wrong. I and J are relative coordinates of the arc centers, so they can't both be 0, because that would mean the current position was also the center, that is, the radius was zero. Error 33 means the arc coordinates don't make sense: an arc starting at the current position and centered at the given I, J does not reach close to the target (X, Y) position -- which is clearly the case here.

There are two arc modes in G-code, radius and center. Only the latter has I and J coordinates. Of the two, center works better, so make sure you set your CAM program to output arcs in that format. If it doesn't output I, J with your G2/G3 commands, something is wrong with your CAM program or its G-code post-processor or settings, not with GRBL.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Fablicator

Post by Fablicator » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:04 pm

I had to ditch carbide motion to get drilling to work.

I now use Universal Gcode Sender which works much better. Download v1.8 here: http://bit.ly/1BSKon6

Carbide motion tries to be smart and do things behind the scenes, but it adds its own issues to the mix in the process. (WHY WOULD YOU NOT SUPPORT COORDINATE SYSTEMS?!?)

To make it all work I have set the export in HSM /Fusion 360 to grbl.cps.

DigitalDaze

Post by DigitalDaze » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:14 pm

Fablicator wrote:I had to ditch carbide motion to get drilling to work.

I now use Universal Gcode Sender which works much better. Download v1.8 here: http://bit.ly/1BSKon6

Carbide motion tries to be smart and do things behind the scenes, but it adds its own issues to the mix in the process. (WHY WOULD YOU NOT SUPPORT COORDINATE SYSTEMS?!?)

To make it all work I have set the export in HSM /Fusion 360 to grbl.cps.
Thanks for this. I'm going to try it, been hitting this error all freakin day.

train_depot

Post by train_depot » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:39 am

Okay, so we did find a fix to this problem. It was the problem (that some others have mentioned) of excessive rounding.

It can be fixed by going to the xyz setup in the HSM post processor and increasing the decimal places

E.g. instead of
var xyzFormat = createFormat({decimals:(unit == MM ? 3 : 4), forceDecimal:true});

Use this
var xyzFormat = createFormat({decimals:(unit == MM ? 4 : 5), forceDecimal:true});

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:50 pm

Fablicator wrote:To make it all work I have set the export in HSM /Fusion 360 to grbl.cps.
Have you tried using the Mach3 post in Fusion 360? That seems to work flawlessly with Carbide Motion + S3, unlike the GRBL post. ;)

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 531#p53512
Shapeoko 3 #516

Fablicator

Post by Fablicator » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:05 pm

AnonymousPerson wrote:
Fablicator wrote:To make it all work I have set the export in HSM /Fusion 360 to grbl.cps.
Have you tried using the Mach3 post in Fusion 360? That seems to work flawlessly with Carbide Motion + S3, unlike the GRBL post. ;)

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 531#p53512
Works flawlessly right up until you try and drill something. GRBL doesn't support canned drilling cycles which the Mach 3 post outputs.

I honestly can't recommend the Carbide 3d interface. LOVE the shapoko 3, but the stock software just hasn't caught up for the parts I need to make.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:19 pm

I believe there are post-processors which will convert the canned drill commands into G-code which the machine supports.

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/G-Code_Utilities

Carbide Motion is trying very hard to be user friendly, which seems to trip it up some.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:24 pm

Fablicator wrote:Works flawlessly right up until you try and drill something. GRBL doesn't support canned drilling cycles which the Mach 3 post outputs.
Ahhhh. I've not hit that yet. What operation in Fusion corresponds to a canned drilling cycle? :)
Fablicator wrote:I honestly can't recommend the Carbide 3d interface. LOVE the shapoko 3, but the stock software just hasn't caught up for the parts I need to make.
Yeah. Carbide 3D seem to be copying some of the approaches used by Apple for things. :(
Shapeoko 3 #516