Carbide Create

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Carbide Create

Post by WillAdams » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:47 am

I believe there has been some public discussion on the Carbide 3D Community forums.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

shallowcreek

Post by shallowcreek » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:27 pm

@Edward,

Any news on a release date for Carbide Create?

Thanks!

BH

hatallica

Post by hatallica » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:17 pm

I have only started playing around with Carbide Create, and there are three desirable features that I have not found:
1) An convenient scheme for saving projects - each time required navigating my entire file structure. Having a default project folder may help, as would differentiating Save versus Save As.
2) Copy-and-Paste across projects - If I create a front-panel, for instance, then I would like to be able to pull from known-good templates that I have already created (LCD module cutout, keyed cutouts for trimpots or switches, etc.). A logo is a good example of something that might be reused over and over.
3) Group shapes - once a template is created, I want it to behave as a fixed modular element instead of independent shapes. So, I can center the "servo horn template" versus 5 independent circles.

There are workarounds, of course. These are just things that I intuitively tried to do (habits from circuit layout). All things considered, it is impressive that I could crank out a half dozen templates in no time, starting from scratch. I only had an hour available, so I chose to try the software instead of partially building my new SO3.

shallowcreek

Post by shallowcreek » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:24 pm

1) An convenient scheme for saving projects - each time required navigating my entire file structure. Having a default project folder may help, as would differentiating Save versus Save As.
2) Copy-and-Paste across projects - If I create a front-panel, for instance, then I would like to be able to pull from known-good templates that I have already created (LCD module cutout, keyed cutouts for trimpots or switches, etc.). A logo is a good example of something that might be reused over and over.
3) Group shapes - once a template is created, I want it to behave as a fixed modular element instead of independent shapes. So, I can center the "servo horn template" versus 5 independent circles.
I agree with your list but would also like to see the option to add tabs to individual parts. There are ways around it but with what I am currently working I would prefer the ability to cut completely through.

I am impressed with a large file that I put into the program and added tool paths too. It slowed down for a couple of minutes calculating but ended up working.

I also found an easy convert website from SVG to DXF. I used an old SVG from a Makercam.com save, converted and took it directly into Carbide Create. https://cloudconvert.com/svg-to-dxf

BH

crabby

Post by crabby » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:22 pm

I have not used CC much but I just noticed that it says my copy will expire in 5 days. Hopefully this will not be so!
Shapeoko #279 DeWalt router

adamluna

Post by adamluna » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:00 pm

Are we supposed to get an email with the license? (those who have purchased SO3 before the software release) how can I get my copy and license?

Adam
Adam
Shapeoko 3 w/DPW 611 #243
WIN7 64bit - Trying to figure it out a Workflow

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:18 pm

From memory, it's still in "beta testing". If you email support@carbide3d.com about it, they should be able to help. :)
Shapeoko 3 #516

Bangalore

Post by Bangalore » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:54 pm

I was reading through the latest email about the newest release of Carbide Create. It reads, "Here's the other thing to be aware of- as of the last release, Carbide Create now outputs a binary gcode format that can only be opened by latest release of Carbide Motion. This is the only practical way for us to limit the use of Carbide Create to our customers." I currently use Fusion 360, so it doesn't really affect me. However, my initial response was that every other piece of software I've ever gotten that creates a propriety file format unusable in other programs, at least without some conversion involved, has been relegated to the "uninstalled" list. I would suggest that a product key might be an easier way to manage limiting the use of the software to customers only, much like many other manufacturers do.
This, I believe, would prevent the software from being used by non-customers, and would also maintain a certain level of freedom in how they use the software, say for example if they wanted to design in Carbide Create and use the gcode with UGS. I realize that this is still possible, but the added trouble of having to filter through Carbide Motion before going to UGS, for example, might be a turn-off for some users. Makers are notoriously picky about individual freedom and choice. :)

Just a thought.
http://www.BillySalyers.com
Shapeoko 3 #585 Couple of Tweaks

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:24 pm

It would be nice if we could add an option to have Carbide Motion accept a file from Carbide Create and then write out standard G-code to a file if it's connected to a machine.

That way one could archive files for production use.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:45 pm

That's a bad strategy, in my opinion. Here's a more authoritative opinion, by Joel Spolsky. The key point is that if you want people to switch to your software, you have to make it easy for them to try it. To try it, they need to be able to switch to it, and switch and away from it too. If they don't know they can take their work away from you after they've tried you, they won't risk moving their work to you in the first place.

On the other hand, it's somewhat understandable. There is no standardization for a CAM file format, like there is for CAD to some extent, so your CAM work is pretty much locked-in regardless. (I'm not talking about the G-code -- that's the output of CAM -- but the file that stores your choices and settings you made during the CAM process, so that you can edit them later and generate toolpaths again. That is very specific to each CAM program, and there's no question of trying to export from one to another, the way things are today.)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk