Carbide Create

ggrif

Re: Carbide Create

Post by ggrif » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:51 pm

aztecnology wrote:I am able to open it, but it is still very buggy in my experience. Text vector has never worked for me for example. Looks like a new update is out today so I will give it another courtesy look, but I'm pretty much on to VCarve and doubt I will be looking back.

On a side note, I think I've lost a couple pulley set screws, anyone know where I can get some replacements? Dimension/Size?

I installed the latest version, Text still doesn't work in Win 10. Excited about the new v-carve feature, would like to be able to use it.

CJNOMNOM

Re: Setting order of path?

Post by CJNOMNOM » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:42 pm

I'm trying to do my FIRST cut! BUT it keeps cutting the outter shape first, resulting in the middle of the part to float. I know you can do sticky paper etc, but I want to cut the insides first then finish with the outer cut. any ideas? I looked at the EGC file but it's jumbled letters and numbers, not actual G code.

RoguePirin

Post by RoguePirin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:37 pm

CJNOMNOM wrote:I looked at the EGC file but it's jumbled letters and numbers, not actual G code.
There was an earlier post indicating that "Carbide Create now outputs a binary gcode format that can only be opened by latest release of Carbide Motion. This is the only practical way for us to limit the use of Carbide Create to our customers."

This is why the EGC file doesn't look like G code to you; you won't be able to see what it's doing with just a text editor.
Shapeoko 3 #677, Nyloc nuts, ¾" HDPE base with t-nuts, Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2

kapudon

Linux/Wine Installation

Post by kapudon » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:30 pm

I don't know how many people are interested in running CC under Linux, but the current version appears to work perfectly using Wine. As always with Wine installations, there are a few things to know. I couldn't find them conveniently described anyplace else, so I thought I'd post them here. I'm running Ubuntu 15.10 and Wine 1.9.1
  • Install or upgrade Wine. Many linux distros package outdated versions of 3rd party software. Ubuntu is notorious for this. If you go through the Ubuntu Software Center, you will get Wine 1.6.2, which *will* work, but I recommend upgrading or installing a newer version. The Wine community (gamers mostly) is active, and there are lots of improvements in newer versions. Distro-specific instructions are here: https://www.winehq.org/download
  • Download the CC Windows installation .exe and run it using the Wine program installer (usually, you just double click on the .exe). This should work fine, but it may take a while to complete if you haven't previously installed Visual Studio 13 in your Wine environment. Don't interrupt it, even if it appears to hang, especially if you insist on using Wine 1.6.x ,which is slow.
  • By default, Wine will create a desktop launch icon (a .desktop file), which you can move where you like. Be sure it is executable (right click and look at properties --> permissions). Use this icon to launch CC.
  • If you get an error about a missing Windows dll, then go into the Wine configuration GUI (run winecfg). Under the Applications tab, set up an entry for carbidecreate.exe, and change the Windows Version to XP. Windows 7 will probably not work. This is usually the first thing to try when you get errors under Wine. Note that this setting will not affect your other Wine apps.
  • Being a Windows program, CC looks for fonts in the usual Win folder (C:\Windows\Fonts). If you don't have any fonts in that dir, the CC text vector function won't work. Note that by default, the full linux path is ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts. There are a number of ways and sites from which you can download Windows TT fonts, as well as many other free fonts (of widely varying quality and reliability), but the easiest way to simulate Windows is to just copy the entire contents of the C:\Windows\Fonts directory from a Windows installation over to the fonts directory on the Wine virtual drive. You can also try the Ubuntu ttf fonts (usually found in \usr\share\fonts), but i can't tell you how well they work. Fonts can be finicky. The Win fonts work.
I can't see any CC functions that don't work as intended under Wine, but if people run into any, it would be nice if you posted them here. CM also installs and appears to run ok under Wine using the same procedure, but I don't have a board I can test it with yet.

atrueresistance

Post by atrueresistance » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:18 pm

Hello,

First time using CC and Carbide Motion exclusively for a project. I did run into quite a few times where the software would freeze. In CC I had attempted to bring in a DWG exported from inkscape. The saw would never import, though. Exporting as EPS and using a random online service to convert to DWG allowed CC to open. A few things on CC is there a way to add tabs? The videos were very helpful!! Once I have the operations on one object complete it would be nice to duplicate selected objects with operations. Instead of cutting one, I could do a whole sheet. Yes currently the copy works, but does not bring in toolpaths with. I guess it is me being lazy, but would be a time saver.

Making name tags for our local woodworking guild, only like 16 more to go

Carbide motion is straight forward and simple. Is there going to be support for homing and work coordinates in the future? I did have some problems with CM freezing. 10 attempts were made at name tags, but only 7 finished. When CM froze mid-job, I had to chuck it up as a failure. Normally I would re-home and rerun gcode again, but without support for homing. . 7/10 isn't terrible, but not the greatest reliability. Certainly not good enough to run expensive wood through.
Shapeoko 1 #unknown
Shapeoko 3 #572
Checkout my Etsy Store

digital_dreamer

Post by digital_dreamer » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:07 am

RoguePirin wrote:
CJNOMNOM wrote:I looked at the EGC file but it's jumbled letters and numbers, not actual G code.
There was an earlier post indicating that "Carbide Create now outputs a binary gcode format that can only be opened by latest release of Carbide Motion. This is the only practical way for us to limit the use of Carbide Create to our customers."

This is why the EGC file doesn't look like G code to you; you won't be able to see what it's doing with just a text editor.
Heh. And, here I was wanting to edit the G-Code of the files created by CC for other purposes. No wonder the text editors only showed gibberish. That kind of makes CC pretty useless, you know?

Looks to be a modified version of Base64, using the "+" and "/" characters as the other 2 of the 64 character set, no line separators, and standard pad character "=". I'm going to look into this more.

MAJ

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:29 am

You should probably review the license before doing anything else.

If you’re not satisfied w/ the capabilities, features, implementation and license of a closed-source software package, the best thing to do is to stop using it and either find some other software package, or write your own software.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:03 am

WillAdams wrote:You should probably review the license before doing anything else.
Have they published a license? I don't see one anywhere.
Looks to be a modified version of Base64, using the "+" and "/" characters as the other 2 of the 64 character set, no line separators, and standard pad character "=". I'm going to look into this more.
Might be harder than you think, I just tried exporting the same file twice, and got very different output. The two files aren't even the same length.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:36 pm

Isn’t there a click-through end-user license / agreement?

When I installed and read through it, ISTR that there was a prohibition on reverse-engineering /decrypting the file format.

Regardless, this can’t be discussed here, nor on any server located where such activity would be illegal.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

BillClements

Re: Linux/Wine Installation

Post by BillClements » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:06 am

kapudon wrote:
I can't see any CC functions that don't work as intended under Wine, but if people run into any, it would be nice if you posted them here. CM also installs and appears to run ok under Wine using the same procedure, but I don't have a board I can test it with yet.
I just tried the most recent version of CC under ubuntu 14.04, wine 1.9.5 (Windows XP), and I can get it to install, but the program crashes for me. Is the new version working for you? Just wondering if it's the new version, or the fact that I'm on 14.04 (and can hope it will be fixed when I upgrade to 16.04).