Carbide Create

461oceanblvd

Re: Carbide Create

Post by 461oceanblvd » Thu May 05, 2016 6:00 pm

Quick question. With my Carbide Motion controller board, I found the only thing that would fix the disconnect issue was to use the FTDI USB serial port, but for some reason Carbide Motion software won't detect a connection using that port, so I have to use UGCS. Not a big deal, but I would like to start using the Carbide Create software to build my cam files, since everything else out there is complete garbage (at least in my experiences with them).

Will there be a gcode export function available? There isn't one as of whatever version I have now (build 283, Jan 16, which is the most current email I've gotten from them to update). Just curious if this is in the works or if anyone has a workaround.

Thanks!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu May 05, 2016 6:56 pm

It is my understanding that if one can connect Carbide Motion to a Carbide Motion Machine Control Board, one can then open a Carbide Create file, decrypt it, and display it in a window from which it may be copied.

http://community.carbide3d.com/t/how-to ... ion/1749/2
On the "Info" or "Run" pane, just click the file name and it'll pop up the gcode in a viewer.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu May 05, 2016 7:02 pm

Don't bother trying to make Carbide Motion work with the FTDI chip. It is designed, on purpose, to recognize the USB device IDs programmed into the firmware of the Atmel chip that does USB-to-serial on the Carbide Motion board. It won't work with any other serial converter chip, nor even with the same chip programmed with different IDs, such as that on an Arduino Uno. This is to ensure the software is used only with their board. Also, Carbide Create piggy-backs on this protection, and outputs scrambled G-code that's meant only for Carbide Motion to read -- again to tie it to the Carbide Motion board.

My understanding is that, if you've connected the Carbide Motion program to the Carbide Motion board (but only via the on-board serial converted chip), it will read Carbide Create G-code, de-scramble it, and allow you to save it.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

461oceanblvd

Post by 461oceanblvd » Thu May 05, 2016 8:13 pm

Excellent, thanks guys. I will give it a shot.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri May 20, 2016 12:15 pm

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets