VCarve Pro 8 + SO3

jbc

VCarve Pro 8 + SO3

Post by jbc » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:11 pm

I have a couple of questions for those out there using VCarve Pro 8.

1) Can you machine your design directly from VCarve Pro without using something like Universal G-Code sender?
2) I read somewhere that VCarve Pro is an intuitive program allowing new users to get up to speed more easily. Anyone have a experience with the Shapeoko 3 (new to CNC and just starting out) and using VCarve Pro 8?

The ability to machine parts made directly from Sketchup has my attention.

Pros?
Cons (other than cost)?

jbc
jbc
VCarvePro 8
3D Printing prototypes
Sketchup
http://www.CaffeineMachine.com

CastIrony

Re: VCarve Pro 8 + SO3

Post by CastIrony » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:21 pm

I'm still in the researching phase, not quite ready to shell out $300+ on a CAM app until I'm sure it's what I want. VCarve (non-pro) is currently at the top of my list.

AFAIK, none of the Vectric apps have direct support for GRBL. You use them to generate a G-Code file (they have a GRBL post processor that I think people have had good luck with), and then send that to GRBL with a sender app of your choice (like UGS).

You're going to have a number of job-specific setup tasks anyway (change bits, mount the workpiece to the wasteboard, make sure your work coordinates are properly set up) that one extra step of saving your toolpath to a file and loading it into a second app isn't really that annoying.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

heathenx

Post by heathenx » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:30 am

I have Vcarve Desktop 8 with my SO3. It's great software and worth the money. Makes better sense than MeshCAM. I also use HSM Express/Fusion 360 which is free. You still need a gcode sender. I prefer grbl panel.
Shapeoko 3, #405 / Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2, limit switches

LTEPM

Post by LTEPM » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:44 am

I have V Carve Desktop 8.0X, unless you need nesting or the widgets, it should be fine for your needs for 2.5D work.

It is intuitive, however there is a little learning curve. The Vectric forum has great support and involvement from members.

You need to use a G-Code sender to run the *.NC files to the SO3. I have used Carbide Motion and chilipeppr, going to explore b-CNC and a few others. I really like Chilipeppr but find that it bogs down with large files. May be that I don't have my settings right.

The SO 3 driver posted here on the forum works great. I typically design in both inches and metric, but save the g-code files as metric. The sw converts it fine from inches to metric.

heathenx

Post by heathenx » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:44 am

I'd suggest watching a few of their tutorial videos. I watched a few at first and I was up to speed in a day or two.

VCarve Pro
http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... Index.html

Vcarve Desktop
http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... Index.html
Shapeoko 3, #405 / Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2, limit switches

jbc

Post by jbc » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:06 pm

Thanks guys.
LTEPM
I have V Carve Desktop 8.0X, unless you need nesting or the widgets, it should be fine for your needs for 2.5D work.
Thanks. I think upgrading to Pro later doesn't have any penalty so until I go larger the desktop version will do what I need.
LTEPM / heathen - Do you miss the pro version - Merged Toolpaths?

Question for the Desktop version: Can you wright any code into the desktop version that will run the machine to all end stops when first starting a job? Effectively finding its boundries each time?

heathenx
Thanks. That's what I was getting from my research. And I've gone over some of their videos. Good advice thanks.

CastIrony
Taking extra steps before a successful job beats the hell out of hurrying to a crash site.
I agree with the $$ comment. I used a lot of different programs when 3D printing before ending up on Simplify3D and loving it. That was worth it at the time and saved a lot of time with my parts. I am a believer of the old saying "You'll forget the price long before you forget the value."
I've read this has the same common sense -thoughtful feature set.
This new version of Vcarve solves some big hurldes for me. Trying to convert an stl file into a file machinists can use was painful and costly. Time being one of the costs.
Vcarve takes stl and native Sketchup files so my 2.5D projects look to be within reach, and when my SO3 arrives I can send flowers to the machine shops I had used since they will be dead to me ...WOOT!
The trial is in my headlights once my machine arrives.

Thanks for your input. It was what I was hoping for.

jbc
jbc
VCarvePro 8
3D Printing prototypes
Sketchup

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:32 pm

jbc wrote:Question for the Desktop version: Can you wright any code into the desktop version that will run the machine to all end stops when first starting a job? Effectively finding its boundries each time?
The post processor format that Vectric apps use is pretty flexible and easy to use. If there are some commands you need to run before or after every job, you can very easily add them to the HEADER or FOOTER section.

I don't know if there's a command you can send from inside a gcode file to trigger a homing cycle though.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

jbc

Post by jbc » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:38 pm

Adding to the header or footer should accomplish what I want.....I think. I've never used a CNC machine so only have a 3D printer's perspective.
Thanks.
Jbc
jbc
VCarvePro 8
3D Printing prototypes
Sketchup

Timman

Post by Timman » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:24 am

In V Carve Pro use the Grbl 0.8c(mm)*.gcode Post processor. The only way i have had any success is to Zero at the bottom of my stock. If I Zero at the Top It cuts to deep every time. I spoke with Apollo the other day and he was going to call Vcarve and see why they cant build a post processor just for the Shapeoko 3. We should be using an Grbl 0.9c(mm)*.gcode processor. So they are aware of the problem and they are working on it.
Shapeoko 3, Limit Switches and Custom Aluminum Bed

jbc

Post by jbc » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:53 pm

A SO3 version would be great.

Timman- when zeroing at the bottom does the machine start its first cut in the air?
jbc
VCarvePro 8
3D Printing prototypes
Sketchup