VCarve Pro 8 + SO3

kristenanne77

Re: VCarve Pro 8 + SO3

Post by kristenanne77 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:59 pm

I use VCarve 8. I use the the same post processor I used for my ShapeOko 2.
No problem. Worth the money to me in time saving. Also can work with some 3D files, although you can only use a 2 dimensional portion from them.

Learning curve to me was pretty intuitive and when I have a question, the forum members usually have an answer. It seems like I am finding new things that can be done with it every day.

My 2 cents.
K

jbc

Post by jbc » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:17 pm

kristenanne77
Are you using Pro or desktop?
If not Pro why?

I saw a pro feature that looks like a nice tool for a beginner.
'The job setup sheets.' It prints out what you did for a job to review/tweak later.

Is that with the 'merged toolpaths' worth it over the desktop version?
jbc
VCarvePro 8
3D Printing prototypes
Sketchup
http://www.CaffeineMachine.com

Timman

Post by Timman » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:16 am

No not at all, when I zero at the bottom of the stock everything works the way it should. I have been doing test cuts on different thickness of materiel and have had no problem with stock up to 1 inch thick.
With that said, when I spoke with Apollo @ Carbide 3D they are very upset that Vetric has not built a Post Processor around the Shapeoko 3. I even spoke with the Vetric support staff in the UK the other day, they informed me that they cannot see a difference in the GRBL 0.8 and the GRBL 0.9 but, there is something there they just need to look harder. Hopefully the Carbide Team will be able to persuade them to push forward with a build for the Shapeoko 3, really, they have every other CNC router called out by name in post processing. As for now mine is doing what I want it to do, it would just be nice to have a processor just for the S3. At this moment I have the bed out of mine, I am making an all aluminum one with with T-Slots. I will post pictures when I am done.
Shapeoko 3, Limit Switches and Custom Aluminum Bed

461oceanblvd

Post by 461oceanblvd » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:13 am

I know it has been a while since this was posted, but was wondering if anyone has heard anything about an SO3 driver or something for using VCarve? Or if there isn't, which format to do I output as? There are about 100 options there in the toolpath calculation menu.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:33 am

It’s listed at: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... e#2.5D_CAM

Which has two post-processors to d/l, as well as some additional links: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... nch.pp.txt
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:53 pm

I've been using the non-pro VCarve Desktop for a while now, and I've never had the issue that Timman mentioned. Just make sure the thickness is set properly and the zero point is set at the top of the material in Job Setup.

I'm using the Grbl0.8c post processor, which works fine.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

Bonch

Post by Bonch » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:16 pm

Timman wrote:No not at all, when I zero at the bottom of the stock everything works the way it should. I have been doing test cuts on different thickness of materiel and have had no problem with stock up to 1 inch thick.
With that said, when I spoke with Apollo @ Carbide 3D they are very upset that Vetric has not built a Post Processor around the Shapeoko 3. I even spoke with the Vetric support staff in the UK the other day, they informed me that they cannot see a difference in the GRBL 0.8 and the GRBL 0.9 but, there is something there they just need to look harder. Hopefully the Carbide Team will be able to persuade them to push forward with a build for the Shapeoko 3, really, they have every other CNC router called out by name in post processing. As for now mine is doing what I want it to do, it would just be nice to have a processor just for the S3. At this moment I have the bed out of mine, I am making an all aluminum one with with T-Slots. I will post pictures when I am done.
After reading this thread I decided to send Vectric an email asking them for their advice. There is apparently a big disjoint between Carbide 3D and Vectric. One is saying it is a problem, the other is saying it isnt a problem. I myself have been using the GRBl .08c post processor and not had any problems but also not doing anything major at this point.

Stacy Boncheff
Jun 12, 22:41 WET
Do you have a post processor for the new Shapeoko XXL. If not, what post processor do you recommend to use for VCarve Pro.

Charlie Pullen (Vectric Ltd.)
Jun 13, 11:24 WET
Hello Stacy,
As far as we are aware the controllers for the Shapeoko Range are all the same across the range.
I believe that this range also does not have a set Controller to use, so this will influence the Post Processor you will need.
With your Shapeoko Machine, which Controller do you use to drive it?
If you use one of the common ones we should have a stock Post Processor for you to test.
Such as Mach3 (Mach2/3 Arcs (Inch)) or GRBL (X-Carve (inch)).
Many Thanks
Best Regards
Charlie
Vectric Support

461oceanblvd

Post by 461oceanblvd » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:22 pm

WillAdams wrote:It’s listed at: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... e#2.5D_CAM

Which has two post-processors to d/l, as well as some additional links: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... nch.pp.txt
Thanks man. Just to verify (i'm about to try it anyway) - It says this is for the Nomad, but will work as well for the SO3, correct?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:47 pm

Yes, both the Nomad and the Shapeoko both use Grbl in their default configurations, as does the X-Carve --- Vectric would do everyone a big favour, and be far fairer if they'd remove the parenthetical (X-Carve) from the description for their Grbl-specific post-processor.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:16 pm

I think there's a tendency to think of VCarve post processors as complicated app plugins, when they're really simple text configuration files. All of the built-in post processors are really well commented, and there's good documentation about the format if you go to Help -> Post Processor Editing Guide.

You can very easily change the name of the X-Carve processor, and make some tweaks to match your particular workflow.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.