Carbide Create - First Use

brettjones

Carbide Create - First Use

Post by brettjones » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:23 am

I just got my Shapeoko 3 running on Saturday and for my first "Hello World" test I decided to make a sign for my son's door. I had a piece of 3/4" plywood sitting around. I opened up Carbide Create and within 5 minutes and I had the piece set up, the tool selected, the sign created and the GCode exported. 20 minutes later I had my first part cut on my CNC. I have a lot of experience with 3D printers and 95% of my CAD was in Google's Sketchup, but this was the first thing I created for CNC. It worked perfectly. Carbide Create was really easy to use.

I'm now working on my next project: a tablet holder. There are 4 pieces to it and I've found it's really easy to design in Carbide Create. I'll post results over the weekend of how that turns out. For now I've attached a picture of the sign I made for my son.
Dallas.jpg
Dallas.jpg (385.88 KiB) Viewed 1954 times

ejlatstl

Re: Carbide Create - First Use

Post by ejlatstl » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:00 pm

brettjones wrote:I just got my Shapeoko 3 running on Saturday and for my first "Hello World" test I decided to make a sign for my son's door. I had a piece of 3/4" plywood sitting around. I opened up Carbide Create and within 5 minutes and I had the piece set up, the tool selected, the sign created and the GCode exported. 20 minutes later I had my first part cut on my CNC. I have a lot of experience with 3D printers and 95% of my CAD was in Google's Sketchup, but this was the first thing I created for CNC. It worked perfectly. Carbide Create was really easy to use.

I'm now working on my next project: a tablet holder. There are 4 pieces to it and I've found it's really easy to design in Carbide Create. I'll post results over the weekend of how that turns out. For now I've attached a picture of the sign I made for my son.
Dallas.jpg
You realize that Carbide Create is not available to "the rest of us". This is a cruel tease... ;)
Ed in St Louis

Got2tinxxer

Post by Got2tinxxer » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:04 am

We will patiently wait for our turn to use and create in Carbide Create.

brettjones

Post by brettjones » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:05 am

I didn't mean it to be a tease (OK, maybe I did a bit). I meant it to be informational for the beta testing.

If you want more teases, I can go through 2 more projects I did with it. One is a big clock for my daughter (arduino controlled ws2811 LEDs around the back of it) and the other is a tablet holder that we are prototyping for my company (self-serve beer).

shallowcreek

Post by shallowcreek » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:17 pm

I would like to hear more!

Can files be imported into the BETA test program? If you have a complex file does it work much better then the web options?

How are the drawing tools to work with? Are they as user friendly as advertised?

Thanks,

BH

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:26 pm

Thus far all that’s been made publicly available on Carbide Create is the announcement, the licensing terms and a video.

I’ll try to gather all that into a page on the wiki.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)