Carbide Motion Position and G10 command

raidoh

Carbide Motion Position and G10 command

Post by raidoh » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:17 pm

I'm still getting to know my new Shapeoko 3, but I just installed homing switches and am trying to work out the homing process and coordinate systems. Is the Position shown in Carbide Motion the Work Coordinates or the Machine Coordinates? I'm going through the homing process and setting the Work Coordinates using G10 L20 P1 X0 Y0 Z19.05 (19.05mm probe thickness), but the Position shown in Carbide Motion is not updated to the Work Coordinates as I'd expect.
Workflow:

Code: Select all

$h //start the homing process
G0 X-20 Y-100 //move away from the machine origin to use the probe over the workpiece origin
G38.2 Z-50 F50 //Z-height probe sequence
G10 L20 P1 X0 Y0 Z19.05 //set the Work Coordinate for G54, accounting for 19.05mm probe thickness
G54   //set to the Work Coordinates, perhaps unnecessary
In the Log window, this shows the MPos and WPos correctly, but I'd expect the Carbide Motion Position to reflect the Work Position since that's the most relevant data for machining the part. So, now I'm second guessing what's going on.

Also, when I try to jog after sending these G-Code commands, the machine decides it needs to be somewhere else before performing the small jog, but I'm not sure where it's going and have to shut it off quickly before it collides with something.

Thanks.

Atonwa

Re: Carbide Motion Position and G10 command

Post by Atonwa » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:45 pm

I had the same exact problem after installing the homing switches. If I home and then jogged machine to set a G54-G55 WPS coordinates the machine just decided to move as far as it wanted. Just quit jogging and going back to jog and the system then moved as expected.

I upgraded to bCNC, not only does it easily show you your MPS but it lets you set your G54 and up WPS on the fly and has a nice home feature on it. With the preview of what the machine is cutting live and probing enabled and easy to use I don't ever see going back to Carbide Motion again. Just an FYI if your willing to try an alternative.

Maybe someone will chime in with why CM just moves randomly after homing.
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001

raidoh

Post by raidoh » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:22 pm

Cool. Sounds like I need to check out bCNC. Thanks!

mat.murdock

Post by mat.murdock » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:24 pm

Are G54-G55 permanently saved in memory so that they are still set between power cycles?

Mat

Atonwa

Post by Atonwa » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:27 pm

Yes they are. So if you want to quit a job midstream or have a bit break you can revert and begin again.
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001

Shook

Post by Shook » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:54 pm

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but can someone with experience with bCNC describe their workflow a bit.

I think bCNC has more features than UGS, but I've had zero success with bCNC. It's always giving me error code 23 on gcode that works fine on other gcode senders.
Shapeoko 3 (#1107)

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:08 pm

The error code 23, is I believe sending unsupported G-code --- I believe I had to edit my files from MakerCAM, removing an unsupported code to get them to run.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Fablicator

Post by Fablicator » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:44 pm

Shook wrote:Don't mean to hijack the thread, but can someone with experience with bCNC describe their workflow a bit.

I think bCNC has more features than UGS, but I've had zero success with bCNC. It's always giving me error code 23 on gcode that works fine on other gcode senders.

bCNC stops on any error thrown by grbl, where some of the other senders ignore them.

You'll need to track down the offending G-code and either stop it from being outputted by your software, or post process you code to remove it.

What are you using to generate G-Code?

vasilis

Post by vasilis » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:52 pm

Once you get the error in bCNC, click on the "Status:" (it is a button), where the error is displayed and it will give you the line and an explanation of the error. If you want to tell bCNC to skip the offending command you can add it in the configuration file, under the section [Error]. But as the grbl maintainer strongly suggests, its is better to clean up the offending commands from the CAM program.
If the error is coming from a Tool Change command, there are special policies on what do to do inside the "Probe -> Tool" page