Machine Keeps Freezing Randomly

Winanszero

Re: Machine Keeps Freezing Randomly

Post by Winanszero » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:18 pm

Carbide support was good enough to exchange my control board with a newer one that supposedly has better grounding/shielding. I'm hoping to rerun the job today, so I'll report back how it goes.

Cheers,
Bill

Winanszero

Post by Winanszero » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:25 pm

FAILED

Though this time when I was milling seemingly successfully, I accidentally touched the cowling around the new control board (not the actual board itself) and I felt the static, which stopped the machine. UGS became unresponsive and needed to be forcibly closed via Task Manager.

This was with one of the new black control boards. Any thoughts?

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:35 am

Definitely let Carbide support know, if you haven't yet. :)
Shapeoko 3 #516

Atonwa

Post by Atonwa » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:40 pm

Also just to be sure. When you mounted the control board you changed out the top right (if standing over the machine) washer from plastic to metal correct? There is now a grounding pad on that screw that is supposed to help ground the control board.

Since I changed out that washer I have had no failures during a run and I have had just one disconnect while shutting the router off and doing a tool change.

There were no instructions with the board so I initially didn't know to change out the washer.
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001

Winanszero

Post by Winanszero » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:58 am

I completely missed that grounding pad! I was using the stock washers but switched out for a metal one. Thanks for the suggestion!

At the recommendation of Carbide3D, I'm simultaneously going to try a grounding wire that goes from the gantry to a power plug ground. http://amzn.com/B00MNP1I3I

Cheers,
Bill

apspurgeon

Post by apspurgeon » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:25 am

I've done all the grounding and shielding known to man, adding a 1500uf capacitor to the 24v power supply fixed the issue. I could clearly see noise on the line with my oscilloscope, a lot of it coming from the Shapeoko 3 steppers as they hold their position.