Initial Software configuration MAC

conroyw

Initial Software configuration MAC

Post by conroyw » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:36 am

I am hoping someone can help out a newbie. I have just built my Shapeoko 3 and am trying to initially connect to the board to check out the system and attempt to calibrate it. So far I have found and downloaded the Carbide Motion software. I installed it on my Mac and tried to connect to board. I received the following error: GRBL Error: Cannot open port for Nomad. I could not find any information on configuring the program for use.

I assume this means I am missing some type of comm software between the Carbide motion and the Shapeoko board. Looking at this board it looks as though I may need the Universal g-code sender program.

Am I heading in the right direction in the initial setup of the machine? I am sitting in a MacBook Pro running Yosemite (10.10.5). I am planning on building an initial software setup document to provide this board for new users. Anyone who knows of a similar document I would be very appreciative.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Initial Software configuration MAC

Post by WillAdams » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:50 am

There have been a number of new users w/ the newest operating systems reporting problems.

Contact support@carbide3d.com and see what they say.

For getting started there’s the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

And a couple of knowledgebase articles: http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/37-sh ... ello-world
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

conroyw

Post by conroyw » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:05 am

Thanks...

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:19 am

The same thing happened to me . I delete all and get the new software again.
I turn on the Motion Carbide and later I turn on the machine under the file and then I go to work.
The file down to half the actual size. We must refine SO3 change 20-40. What I could not do. I hope to soon hopefully someone help me.

J
Shapeoko 3 Serial No. 1302

James RS

Post by James RS » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:31 am

I have turned the machine on and I have the Mac on then I plug in the usb and launch the software.
You can hear a slight jerk so to speak in the S3 when the usb is plugged in.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:02 pm

The slight jerk when power is applied to the board and it then powers up the motors, locking them into position is the expected behaviour.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:14 pm

On OSX (10.9.5 here), Carbide Motion should auto-detect the correct port & settings to use for communication with the S3.

So, in order:
  1. Power on the S3 (leaving it disconnected from the Mac) - the slight jerk will happen a second or two later as the motors get power
  2. Now connect your S3 to your Mac (USB)
  3. Then start Carbide Motion and click the icon to connect
This should "just work", and then display the option of loading a project, or jogging the machine.

If doing it in that order doesn't, then it does sound like something is wrong and needs more investigation.
Shapeoko 3 #516

conroyw

Post by conroyw » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:59 pm

I decided shortest path to see what is up was to buy a PC and hook it up. I now have a machine with Windows 10 on it. I connected it to the Stepoko and click on the Connect Cutter and get same error message: GRBL Error: Cannot open port for Nomad. I tried it with both usb ports on the Windows machine. Any suggestions. When software loaded on PC is saw it load drivers so I assume the machine is configured correctly as I have no options. This is the same error message I get with Mac. This system is the red board from Sparkfun.

I don't understand how to use the universal code loader to perform the initial machine calibration.

Thanks.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:21 pm

It may be that the firmware, Grbl is not loaded, or has gotten corrupted.

There have been reports on the Sparkfun comments section that boards have gone out w/o being flashed, so that’s likely the problem.

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Grbl#Grbl_0.9j

Or see: https://github.com/grbl/grbl/wiki/Flash ... an-Arduino

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:47 am

Yeah, it sounds like there might be a hardware problem. Guessing the board doesn't even show up in Device Manager (on Windows), or in the System Information (under USB) on OSX?
Shapeoko 3 #516