Full depth profile cuts without destroying waste board

Shook

Full depth profile cuts without destroying waste board

Post by Shook » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:17 am

I saw this on youtube and thought it was a handy tip. Basically instead of trying to deal with the varying width of a piece of stock, you use the nominal size in your CAM software and set the bit using the surface of the table. In that way, you're sure to cut all the way through without digging into the waste board too far. It's not 100% harmless, so I wouldn't do it with one of those $400 aluminum upgrades.

With that said, it does seem like a handy time-saver on the CAM side even when you're using a sacrificial board.

Shapeoko 3 (#1107)

Estlcam

Re: Full depth profile cuts without destroying waste board

Post by Estlcam » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:49 am

This method works well for some materials - but you often get large burrs on the part (also visible in the video although not too bad there) - especially if your tool is already a bit dull or has slightly damaged edges.
Don't use it for anything with a veneer on the bottom - it can fray and ruin the whole part.
Also the wasteboard is not always perfectly flat - you still may see some toolpaths on it or need to go even higher which leads to an even larger burr.

Wasteboards are consumables (however I don't cut into the Shapeokos original wasteboard that I see more as a machine bed but instead just put another thin piece of scrap wood between the workpiece and the original waste board)
Estlcam CAM and Arduino UNO CNC controller: www.estlcam.com

fasteddy

Post by fasteddy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:10 pm

While it's true that spoil boards can be thought of as consumables, it is a shame to cut paths in them when you've gone through the effort of putting in hold down nuts. Recently, I've been using thin layers of cork between the spoil board and material. Seems to work pretty well. A pack of 3 from the dollar store can last several jobs.

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:28 pm

I usually just use a scrap of MDF under the work piece if I'm planning on going all the way through.

If you plan on making more than one copy you can add rails and hold downs to position the stock so you can load the next piece and hit the "go" button.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

veng1

Post by veng1 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:46 pm

I use laminate flooring from Home Depot for $0.79/ sq. ft. At that price, I don't worry about how long to use it, I just put a new piece or pieces down for each job.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTE ... /205349795