Some basic software questions

Gamble

Some basic software questions

Post by Gamble » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:11 am

Hi Everyone. My machine is all assembled and today I was doing some test cuts. Here are some trouble areas I'm hoping to get some guidance on.

Carbide Create. Doesn't want to export gcode. When I open up these files in UGS or Carbide motion the machine doesn't move and just goes to 100% done. I have made multiple tool paths as well. Did I miss a step?

Carbide Motion. Random Freezing and disconnects. Odd times it won't find a usable USB port so i will switch to another port and that works until it locks up. Once all my usb ports have been used the device needs to be power cycled.

UGS - Freezes/locks up as well. Reset zero button doesn't work. Gives me a "unknown command" so I can't cut anything with this software. Also only seems to like .nc files and not the exported files from carbide create.

Easel. Designed with it and imported an SVG. Cutting, it ends up being about 50% smaller than what is displayed on the software. Doesn't matter if I cut on the path, or around the path. Can't export this gcode with carbide create due to the error above.

Any suggestions would be great, but those are my frustrations as of 3am :)
CNC Plasma Table
Tig, Mig Welders
Shapeoko3

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Some basic software questions

Post by WillAdams » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:21 am

Carbide Create not exporting G-code --- this is a security feature to limit its use to ShapeOko/Nomad machines. The files which it outputs can only be opened by Carbide Motion, which will only do so when attached to a machine.mwhen it’s connected you should be able to open a file and copy out the G-code as text to paste into a text editor.

Carbide Motion --- please contact support@carbide3d.com about the problems, incl. the specifics of your system --- they’ll probably want a log file, hopefully w/ enough data they’ll be able to track down the source of these issues.

UGS --- I’m prejudiced against Java software, but this works well for others. Given that two programs have problems w/ your USB connection, I’d do some troubleshooting on that: put router on separate circuit, ground machine in star topology, get a good quality USB cable, add ferrite beads to all cables. I use bCNC instead --- if that has problems as well, I’d definitely look at hardware.

Easel --- can’t help w/ it, it doesn’t run well on the machines I was using when I was invited to beta it. The size issue is caused by your steps/mm being half what they should be for $100, $101, $102: http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/45-ma ... -half-size also see: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... he_Machine
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Gamble

Post by Gamble » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:20 pm

Carbide Create not exporting G-code --- this is a security feature to limit its use to ShapeOko/Nomad machines. The files which it outputs can only be opened by Carbide Motion, which will only do so when attached to a machine.mwhen it’s connected you should be able to open a file and copy out the G-code as text to paste into a text editor.
So you are saying that it will only export gcode when connected to the shapeoko? I had it hooked up last night, and had this issue.
I'll try to export again and open in text editor and see what happens. I'm sure there is gcode there as the file was about 127k. But when it runs I click run and it instantly goes to 100%
Carbide Motion --- please contact support@carbide3d.com about the problems, incl. the specifics of your system --- they’ll probably want a log file, hopefully w/ enough data they’ll be able to track down the source of these issues.

Will do :)
UGS --- I’m prejudiced against Java software, but this works well for others. Given that two programs have problems w/ your USB connection, I’d do some troubleshooting on that: put router on separate circuit, ground machine in star topology, get a good quality USB cable, add ferrite beads to all cables. I use bCNC instead --- if that has problems as well, I’d definitely look at hardware.
I could not agree more. I HATE java with a passion. It seemed to be most common ground for everyone else so I figured I would start there. I'll look into bcnc.
Easel --- can’t help w/ it, it doesn’t run well on the machines I was using when I was invited to beta it. The size issue is caused by your steps/mm being half what they should be for $100, $101, $102: http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/45-ma ... -half-size also see: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... he_Machine
[/quote]

I also don't like easel, but for ease of use at the current time and carbide freezing this was an obvious choice last night. I hate web based programs too. I'll look into those links. Couldn't find them at 3am but then again I couldn't keep my eyes open either lol

I will report back. Thanks
CNC Plasma Table
Tig, Mig Welders
Shapeoko3

FargoPhil

Post by FargoPhil » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:23 pm

Not to derail the topic, but why all the Java hate? I started with Universal GCode Sender exactly because it's written in Java. I happen to be pretty good at Java, so being able to tinker with the software is part of the attraction for me personally. bCNC works fine for a lot of people, UGS works fine for a lot of people. Unless you have an interest in the software itself, choosing one or the other based on the language it's implemented in would be shortsighted.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:02 pm

I mislike Java, because:

- I mislike the language itself --- feels arcane to me, I'm far more comfortable w/ AppleScript, Python, Lisp, TeX, and am learning Lua
- as I've noted elsewhere, I have to use two different, poorly written Java programs at work, and one doesn't work well, being slow and unreliable, while the second has a bizarre interface and doesn't honour OS-customizations &c., and I mislike being reminded of it
- it's not native, but tries to pretend to be
- Java has (what I consider to be) a huge runtime, and I prefer small, lightweight programs --- I'm still annoyed by the times when I got excited by programs such as Denim and Silk, but then found that they wouldn't work well on a 233MHz Pentium (at the time I found those programs, I was using a Fujitsu Stylistic ST2300)

I've always tried to be forthright about this being a personal prejudice, and have tried to consistently note that it runs / works well for many people (and for the SO2 was the default choice).

At least I don't think I've ever said here, "Java: Write once. Debug everywhere."

I don't approve of how Larry Ellison conducts himself or spends his money or runs his business.

I also resent Java for having achieved the popularity which should have gone to OPENSTEP (and I hate that that has gotten trapped in Apple's walled garden).

Mostly, I just hate it as an enabler of the sort of software bloat which makes my work machine, which has a clock speed over a thousand times faster than my NeXT Cube, and runs at its heart the same software, feel slower than my Cube. All I want is a small, lightweight tablet machine, running tightly written software which has a nice drawing program and decent handwriting recognition which transfers things nicely to a desktop --- I haven't had that since I had to move away from my NCR-3125 running PenPoint a Futurewave's SmartSketch, (yeah, I'm dating myself) and my NeXT Cube running OPENSTEP 4.2 and WriteNow.app (100,000 lines of assembly code), TeXview.app and Altsys Virtuoso 2.0. I'd give my interest in Hell to be able to run OPENSTEP 4.2 on my Fujitsu Stylistic ST4121. Everyone in the computer industry should read Jerry Kaplan's _StartUp_, and yeah, I'm maudlin and bitter about this --- when I have to give up using Freehand, I'll quit using computers entirely, and sell everything and buy handtools from Bridge City Tools (which every so often is what I think I should've done instead of buying a CNC).

William

(who considered removing the last 3 points, and doesn't really see them as appropriate to discuss here --- anyone who wants to can start a new thread somewhere and we can have an old-fashioned OS flamewar)
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:34 pm

FargoPhil wrote:Not to derail the topic, but why all the Java hate?
As a generalisation, it's presented a security problem on the desktop for years, plus Oracle have bundled malware (ask.com toolbar, McAfee, etc) also for years designed to suck in the unwary.

Server side, it seems to have good/great tooling for developers and deployment, thus makes sense there.

That being said, there are desktop development IDE's (eg Eclipse, IntelliJ) which require it and don't always suck.

For the language itself... Meh. It's just not something that's ever made sense to me. Trying to get even a basic hello world (years ago) took quite a few lines, let alone doing anything even slightly real world (eg database connection, http connection, file handling). Doing it in Python is (seriously) ~10-20 lines. For the whole thing (including db connection, getting web page data, and writing out the file).

That's just my personal impression/experience though. :)
Shapeoko 3 #516