Need Bcnc help on a windows10 system

N7oq

Need Bcnc help on a windows10 system

Post by N7oq » Tue May 31, 2016 5:29 pm

OK I have Bcnc working on the Raspberry Pi and it is controlling the SO3 with no problems, just have to learn all the little details on how to work it. So I decided to install it on my laptop so I could play with it in the comfort of my much cooler house. Well I installed Python 3.4, installed pyserial, and Tkinter, the test for Tkinter seemed ok and I played with pyserial and it identified the device connected to the USB port OK.

So when I run the Bcnc.bat file a couple of cmd prompts flash then nothing. The cmd prompt Windows flash so fast I can't read a thing on them. Also I'm running it on Windows 10.

Any ideas? Thanks,
Bill

RoguePirin

Re: Need Bcnc help on a windows10 system

Post by RoguePirin » Tue May 31, 2016 6:17 pm

When you run the bCNC.bat file, are you double-clicking it with the mouse? If so, try starting it from the command prompt (cmd.exe program). You will have to manually change directory to where bCNC is installed, but if you then type bCNC.bat<enter>, then you should be able to see what it is doing.

I don't have Windows 10, but it should work this way (in theory).

** Edit **
Looking at the batch file, it starts with @echo off, which turns off the feedback to the command prompt window... go figure! So my idea above won't work for seeing what is wrong; though it might provide useful information. If bCNC starts from the command prompt, then I am pretty sure your issues stem from the path information.

In looking at the batch file, it looks to be trying to set the "DIR" variable to the drive and path of the batch file, and then using that information to launch bCNC. It seems to me that maybe this path information is not properly being captured/used. Are you launching the program via a desktop shortcut, or are you clicking on the actual batch file itself? If you are using a shortcut, then you need to ensure that the "Start in:" value is set the drive and directory of the batch file (For example, if you installed bCNC in "C:\Program Files\bCNC", then the "Start in:" value should be set to "C:\Program Files\bCNC" [with the quotes]).
Shapeoko 3 #677, Nyloc nuts, ¾" HDPE base with t-nuts, Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2

vasilis

Post by vasilis » Tue May 31, 2016 7:09 pm

For the moment it doesn't work with python v3.x. You need to install python 2.7

N7oq

Post by N7oq » Tue May 31, 2016 7:55 pm

RoguePirin wrote:When you run the bCNC.bat file, are you double-clicking it with the mouse? If so, try starting it from the command prompt (cmd.exe program). You will have to manually change directory to where bCNC is installed, but if you then type bCNC.bat<enter>, then you should be able to see what it is doing.
Good information thanks!

I don't have Windows 10, but it should work this way (in theory).

** Edit **
Looking at the batch file, it starts with @echo off, which turns off the feedback to the command prompt window... go figure! So my idea above won't work for seeing what is wrong; though it might provide useful information. If bCNC starts from the command prompt, then I am pretty sure your issues stem from the path information.

In looking at the batch file, it looks to be trying to set the "DIR" variable to the drive and path of the batch file, and then using that information to launch bCNC. It seems to me that maybe this path information is not properly being captured/used. Are you launching the program via a desktop shortcut, or are you clicking on the actual batch file itself? If you are using a shortcut, then you need to ensure that the "Start in:" value is set the drive and directory of the batch file (For example, if you installed bCNC in "C:\Program Files\bCNC", then the "Start in:" value should be set to "C:\Program Files\bCNC" [with the quotes]).

N7oq

Post by N7oq » Tue May 31, 2016 7:56 pm

vasilis wrote:For the moment it doesn't work with python v3.x. You need to install python 2.7
Ok thank you very much I will remove 3.4 and install 2.7

N7oq

Post by N7oq » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:32 am

N7oq wrote:
vasilis wrote:For the moment it doesn't work with python v3.x. You need to install python 2.7
Ok thank you very much I will remove 3.4 and install 2.7
Ok I replaced Python 3.4 with 2.7 and that did the trick, again thanks