Carbide Create Images

winters636

Carbide Create Images

Post by winters636 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:55 pm

Is there a way to import an image and generate a V Carve, pocket, or profile path based on the image? I found where you can add an image to the background, but I have not got past that point.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Carbide Create Images

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:56 pm

I don't believe that feature has been added as-of-yet.

Other options:

- Commercial: MeshCAM
- opensource / free: F-Engrave: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/F-Engrave
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

madhatter

Post by madhatter » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:06 pm

I use Inkscape and F-Engrave.

I define my sheet size in Inkscape and make my black and white image using whatever text and logos I want.
I then save that as a .PNG from Inkscape using 600dpi as the resolution. It is a bit high but I don''t mind waiting for the image to be generated.
Since F-Engrave doesn't use .PNG, I use FastStone (it's free and one of the best image viewers I know of) and save the pic as a .BMP and then open it in F-Engrave.
If you are not sure about F-Engrave, you're not alone. I was hesitant, but watched a video and just followed along and did what the guy in the video did it and it worked great. I did not need to use a cleanup bit, so I was able to save some steps, but after the second project (which is all I have done so far) it is easy.
Attachments
20160515_121709_sm.jpg
20160515_121709_sm.jpg (396.95 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
SO3 #0054
DWP611 - SuperPID
Prusa i3 MkII
SolidWorks 2015

winters636

Post by winters636 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:24 pm

Thank you for the replies! Madhatter, that sign looks excellent. I have been using F-Engrave with good results, I was just curious if I could program pocket and trim paths in Carbide create along with the v-carve step all at the same time for an image. Sounds like that is not an option at this time. :(

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:26 pm

FWIW, it's well-worth re-creating things as vector images --- you'll get better results than the auto-tracing which is used to make CAM from the pixel images possible --- the files will be smaller, the cuts will be smoother and rounder where they ought to be, and corners will be more sharply defined.

Once everything is in an SVG, then one can just use Carbide Create for it all.

Oh yeah, one other thing, please use proper curly apostrophes/quotes ‘’ “” ’stead of uni-directional stick quotes ' " --- for more on this see the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... Characters --- also see: http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/ ... 039#248039
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

madhatter

Post by madhatter » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:46 pm

WillAdams wrote:FWIW, it's well-worth re-creating things as vector images --- you'll get better results than the auto-tracing which is used to make CAM from the pixel images possible --- the files will be smaller, the cuts will be smoother and rounder where they ought to be, and corners will be more sharply defined.
Funny, it all started out as vector in Inkscape, but I had to convert it to use F-Engrave. I initially tried to convert it to PNG at 1,200 DPI, but it was just too big for F-Engrave at that resolution.
WillAdams wrote: Oh yeah, one other thing, please use proper curly apostrophes/quotes ‘’ “” ’stead of uni-directional stick quotes ' " --- for more on this see the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... Characters --- also see: http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/ ... 039#248039
I guess I should say now that I originally did have the correct curly apostrophe, but I didn't care for the look of it next to the squared off text, so I changed them to the stick quotes. If that makes me a monster. . . I think I could live with it. ;-) But thanks for the gentle reminder to use the correct punctuation style.
SO3 #0054
DWP611 - SuperPID
Prusa i3 MkII
SolidWorks 2015

anachum

Post by anachum » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:54 pm

Hi madhatter
this image is nice!
What did you use to cut the flowers? what size of bit or bits?
have you made the design in inkspace or other software?

I have a big project of cutting a map of an island which is 3'x3' in size, I have devided the map into 9 parts so i can cut each part on my SO3 (limited size..)

are you happy with the XXL?
tnx
Amos

madhatter

Post by madhatter » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:59 pm

anachum wrote:Hi madhatter
this image is nice!
What did you use to cut the flowers? what size of bit or bits?
have you made the design in inkspace or other software?

I have a big project of cutting a map of an island which is 3'x3' in size, I have devided the map into 9 parts so i can cut each part on my SO3 (limited size..)

are you happy with the XXL?
tnx
Amos
The entire sign was cut with a 60deg v-bit all at once (no separation between text code and flower code). I used a 60deg bit instead of a 90deg because I wanted the carving to be deep since the wood is ~1.5in thick.

Sadly, my shed is not finished so my XXL is still sitting in the shipping box in my entry way. When I get it assembled, I'll make a victory post.

I did create the assembled image but I did not create the flowery corner pieces. I googled "flower border" or "flower corner" and filtered by color (black and white) and then just downloaded the ones I liked.
SO3 #0054
DWP611 - SuperPID
Prusa i3 MkII
SolidWorks 2015